Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Metoprolol Succ ER Vs. Atenolol
SkEyesOGrey posted:
Hello all, I have suffered migraines now for several years. Beyond just the extreme pain they disable me for anywhere from 2 to 16 hours at a time. A year ago, they were almost daily and had pretty much destroyed my life. (Disability that lead to termination at my job and a continuing inability to work in my chosen field-Phone customer service, and phone use is the primary trigger these days). Late last year we found a drug that had me singing glory hallelujah, Metoprolol Succ Er, we worked up to a dosage of 100 mg tablet per day and the migraines not directly triggered by time on the phone were gone. I still couldn't do my job but I was only having about one migraine a month unless I had do spend time on the phone. My light sensitivity which had been growing on the previous medication diminished and was gone, even my depression lessened(though that was probably because we'd found a medication that worked most of the time (I never use the recuse medications maxalt, sumatripan ect, because they all cause my heart to race, had about a 50% chance of causing a panic attack and only worked on the migraine 50% of the time). About a month ago I had gotten to the point I could no longer afford the metoprolol and had to switch to atenolol which seems to continue to prevent the migraines but has come with several unpleasant side effects. I've developed an odd depression with no negative feelings- constant in my previous bouts with depression- instead just an inability to motivate myself to do anything. My light sensitivity is returning, I daily and sometimes multiple times a day bouts of vertigo and when I sleep my hands and feet are numb when I wake seemingly regardless of the position I sleep in.

So my question for the forums is this:
Has anyone suffering from severe migraines that found relief in metoprolol had success with a cheaper drug, or know of a prescription plan, be it wal mart, rite aid, walgreens or what have you that does the $10, 3 month deal on Metoprolol Succ Er?

carpetcrawler5 responded:
It seems you should get back on the Metoprolol, and if it helps you better than the cheaper issue, then you should get your dr to fax a letter to your insurance company telling them you need to take the one that helps you more. I have heard wal-mart has some cheap meds plan, but don't know of any others. Maybe go on the website of Metropolol and try to get on their plan for people who can't afford the medication to get it either free or at a discount. Also maybe your dr might have samples?

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center