Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
A bad year or what
penguie posted:
Is anyone else finding this to be a bad year for migraines? Since I had started on the topomax things hadnt been too bad but these past few months have seemingly been brutal. I know the weather really can affect me and the heat waves we have had run through Ontario witht he humidity have not helped along with the terrible allergy season but I swear I feel like I am loosing my mind at times. A velcro neck would be great so I could just take my head off at times well most tiems as of late. And since I have moved I dont yet have a new doctor set up here so it is rather dofficult getting back to my old one 4hrs away giving I work FT and on shiftwork (yes I know more potential triggers ) But is anyone else finiding this to be a bad year for migraines?
And my apologies for typos I usually take care to edit etc but the way I am feeling right now errrr and I am going stir crazy to boot hence why I am even on a computer

Kloudnine responded:
This is a horrible year for migraines! I have been on Topiramate for a number of years now, and it has worked wonders for me. I cannot take any meds for when I actually do have the migraine because of sensitivities, and I am left to take pain meds when I do get them and only hope it takes the edge off and doesn't make it worse. I would have to agree that the weather is playing a major role in the sudden onset and frequency of my migraines. I have had at least 3 or 4 a week, and smaller headaches on every other day. I don't know how much longer I can tolerate this..not like I have a choice, but I wish there were some at home remedies I could at least try...I have tried ice packs, steam baths and showers, vitamins, etc...any suggestions?

itmatsb replied to Kloudnine's response:
Yes. Nerve block and trigger point injections, Botox injections, and a Butrans patch which gives very low doses of opiates 24/7. That patch has kept me out of the ER, has lessened the number of severe migraines and given me more physical energy.

Kloudnine replied to itmatsb's response:
I do also have Fibromyalgia, in which I have no physical energy, I am weak, sick to my stomach most of the time, and I am sure that the heat is playing a huge role in all of this. I do also think that the smaller headaches are caused by my Fibro. My primary doc has not ever suggested any of those options to me, the only thing suggested was to see a neurologist, and even when I was seeing a neurologist, those were never mentioned. I do appreciate the feedback, and it looks as though I will have to be the one to approach the doctors with these options. Thank you!

itmatsb replied to Kloudnine's response:
I should have mentioned that you should be tried on a daily preventative migraine medication to prevent migraines. If one doesn't work, they should try you on another one. Your doctors should have told you that taking any pain medication, even over the counter drugs at least 3 times a week or more, just causes rebound headaches which perpetuate the headaches. Then after the daily medication doesn't work (which hopefully it will work), then you would be eligible for Botox, since you also have migraines at least 15 days out of the month.

I also have fibromyalgia. And yes, those with fibromyalgia do suffer from more headaches. Do you take any of the FDA approved daily medicines for your fibromyalgia. It might help you.

Good luck to you.

Sara

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center