Skip to content
Since Feb 16 2010. Continuous migraine, every minute I am awake
Kthom725 posted:
I have tried so many medications for me to sit here and list them all would be all this would be about. Right now the only current medication I am taking with them is botox. I had one dosage before and there seemed to be some improvement that was given back in January. I am going for another botox treatment in just a few more weeks because medicare will finally kick in. I have tried to get it quoted and haven't heard back from the hospital with my price so it will be a wing it job, which scares me. Getting me to this point to even get some relief for my head doesn't and I would pay anything for it, which is why I made the apt for 2nd day of the month. But I don't know if it will work again. Sometimes it feels like this battle is one I am fighting with my doctors first. At first they wanted to say the chronic daily I was feeling, my migraine that didn't feel like a migraine. The pain is due to emotional issues, past diagnoses of depression and also I was obese. Beginning of June 2011 I enrolled in a class I go to every Monday to deal with the emotions I was struggling with. I did have some depression/anxiety but that isn't what was causing the migraine, it might be a factor yes, no relief at all from severely improved mental health, and also have lost 92 lbs since last years for my height and age I have about 40 Lbs to go to be in the healthy weight number. There has been no change in my headache. The pain intensity is still has high as it was the morning I woke up with it. Just wondering if maybe someone might have some help to pass my way. Not being on medicines for the migraine I have found since they never worked for me is better. The long term side effects of some are not worth the pain I feel now. My pain is usually up in the 8 out of 10 area. Also before this one, I had very few before in my life. I have to read more on your site but I am also looking for hobbies that are migraine friendly. To lose the weight I have started exercising which causes my headache pain to increase but it is the only way to really lose the weight and also stick to a low carb diet. But need something to keep my busy that causes minimal pain. This is the first time I have ever done one of these so I am sure I rambled. Any help though is appreciated very much. Thank you.

itmatsb responded:
Migraines as intense as yours are not caused by emotional issues, past diagnoses of depression and weight.

Although anti-depressants do act as pain killers, so if you were advised to take them, that is a good strategy.

I don't know why you are so skeptical about the Botox working again when it worked for you before. The fact that you have been helped for 6 months is a long time. I need them every 10 weeks. The fact that one of your doctors has prescribed Botox means that the doctor does not think it's all in your head.

But if you get those excuses in the future, never see the doctor again and find another one.

Also
- Have you tried nerve block and trigger point injections which helped me a lot?
- Have you tried the Butrans patch which I don't have side effects from, but it has kept me out of the ER?
- Have you tried an herbal daily migraine medication called Petadolex? I couldn't stand any of the other daily preventative medications, but that one helped me and hasn't given me the slightest side effect. Studies show that it reduces migraines in 71% of people.

I assume that you know that taking any pain reliever for 3 times a week or more does cause rebound headaches forever.

Hope that my suggestions may give you some other avenues to try. I wish you the best.
Sara

Kthom725 replied to itmatsb's response:
Thank you Sara for your suggestions I will look into the Petadolex, I haven't heard of that one before.

About the botox I was just worried because after 2 months the pain was back full force and had to go through building my pain tolerance back up. But now that I have the insurance I will be able to get them every 3 months. I am sure the botox will work when I get it this week. Just nervous.

I refuse to take pain medication for my migraine. Besides the risk of the rebound headaches, there is also a huge risk of addiction.

Thanks again for your reply. Have a great week!
Katie

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center