Skip to content
Are my daily headaches really migraines and would anything other than more ineffective pills (unless one counts 1600mg+ Ibuprofen) possibly help?
b_goddess_1978 posted:
Ever since sometime before high school (93-96) & only worsening after my car accident that resulted in a 10-week coma due to a traumatic brain injury {TBI}, my headaches have increased to the excruciating point at which they have remained for the last 8 or so years. To give you a better idea, here's a quote from my "Now" poem: '365 days of headaches, with no relief in tow and sometimes it feels that lake pushes out, pushing deep and hard above my snout. They move around and up and down, changing their intensities. Sometimes a "Stargate" surge in back of head and when it gets bad, I should stay in bed. Abnormality in brain, I don't know where. Unsure of effect or should I not care?' My eyeglass prescription now changes every 4-6 months, which I cannot afford to keep up with and I know that inability only hurts my eyes & head. I can't always afford to eat healthy and most food banks only give out 'crap' food, which doesn't help w/ pesky headaches. I sleep about 7-9 hours several nights, yet am still tired much of most days. I don't feel myself waking up on the nights I do sleep (at least 4 or 5 nights a week), but could I have a form of sleep apnea too? I get restless and irritable somewhat often, which I'm sure is related to my TBI, yet could those be caused by anything else? I have noise and light sensitivity as well. I have seen several neurologists in phoenix & Flagstaff, arizona and here in Portland. OR, but no migraine medicine helped. I would really like a day or two w/o the head pains, please give me some suggestions if you can.

itmatsb responded:
- Have you tried nerve block and trigger point injections which helped me a lot?
- Have you tried the Butrans patch which I don't have side effects from, but it has kept me out of the ER?
- Have you tried an herbal daily migraine medication called Petadolex? I couldn't stand any of the other daily preventative medications, but that one helped me and hasn't given me the slightest side effect. Studies show that it reduces migraines by 62%.
- Botox has also helped me tremendously.

That seems like an awful lot of help, but I had extreme 24/7 migraines caused by a stroke which are very difficult to treat due to the cause. I may have them for the rest of my life, I'm told.

I need 12 hours of sleep every night or my migraines get terrible. Can you sleep any longer to maybe get rid of yours?

If you're dependent on food banks, are you getting your medical care from Medicaid?

Until you have tried everything, you cannot give up. I wish you the best.
Sara

An_246652 replied to itmatsb's response:
Thanks Sara for your reply, I will check into this hopefully very helpful information!!
~Jen~

tdawnb responded:
if i were u i would check into headache and pain center i am in missouri my dr is just in ks they helped me a lot they are not headache and pain centee but at least one of my friends she has ms and she has migraines and medicaid they have helped her and they are popping up everywhere and they do everything sara suggested.

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center