Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Allergen/Intolerance to high definition (HD) frequencies?
Medical_Menagerie posted:
Hi everyone! I'm a new member to the site (though I've used it countless times for panic attacks and what have you) and I'm currently running on fumes. Several months ago -- maybe almost close to a year now -- I remember purchasing an HDMI cord for my Playstation 3 since I had just bought my first HDTV. After plugging in the cord and turning on the system, I immediately set out in pure bliss over the clarity of the picture and sound. No more than two hours into the game I felt a strong pulling sensation in the back left side of my head, causing me to immediately drop my controller and spasm. The whole left portion of my face went numb in addition to my left arm. I couldn't help but panic and cry, figuring I was having an anneurism or stroke (even though I was only 21 at the time).

I initially assumed it was the video game of choice that caused the incident due to its array of bright colors and odd graphical sequences, but as time elapsed I would continue to feel this strong pulling sensation (though less severe) whenever I had my television turned on. After some guessing and testing, I have deduced that it is the HD frequency itself that seems to irritate me and put me into some uncontrollable spastic (and painful) convulsions (with a killer migraine to boot!)

To this day, I'm unable to watch or listen to anything on a high definition frequency (bear in mind, that's TV, radio, computer and cell phones, etc), go to the movies, even walk into a Burger King due to the recent technological upgrade. I haven't the slightest clue as to what to do.

I've seen an opthamologist and neurologist and all their tests seem to come back normal, though both admit they wouldn't really know how to test this subject since they haven't heard of it before. There's no irregular brain spotting to prove malignance and no apparent issues with my eyes that would raise concern.

I've tried looking around for case studies and doctors that may know of this issue (assuming it's one that's on the rise?) and I've continued to fall short. Does anyone in this community know anyone who faces this issue or struggles from it themselves? I'm just trying to get myself in the right direction and not have to be a complete social and media recluse in the coming years.

Thank you guys for listening (and hopefully) helping!

Timothy

itmatsb responded:
On another site an engineer had found the cause of his wife's migraines coming from anything electronic. His wife did have some metal shunt or something in her body. When I asked if that could be the cause of my migraines, he said it was a possibility.

If I can find it, I will let you know more about what he said.

Sara

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 66 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center