Skip to content
Daily headache sufferer needs advice
jlogrange posted:
I am a 43 yr old female and I've been suffering with chronic headaches/migraines for about 13 years now. I have been to all kinds of doctors. I've tried topomax, nadolol, etc for prevention. They work for a few weeks and then stop working. I receive chiropractic, message, and physio for the headaches which seem to have something to do with muscles in the neck. My mri showed bulged disks in the neck. They also seem to have a hormonal component to them. I get them the first day of my period and they continue for about 3 weeks after. I had cortozone injections, and that didn't do anything. I'm not sure what to try next. I'm a bit leary of botox. I don't think there is enough knowlege about the longterm side effects yet. I am getting to the point where it is very tough to keep working. I salesrep and my job is pretty hectic, but I love it. I don't want to end up on disability but fear that it could end up being a reality because there are days when I cannot get out of bed.
I'm looking for any kind of feeback from fellow sufferers. I also get extremely depressed when the headaches last for weeks at a time. I want to know if there is a helpline out there. I feel hopeless and sometimes want to end it. I know I don't want to die, but hate the suffering. Please. I need to know there are others like me who understand this cycle.

piano88 responded:
Hi jlogrange,

No, you are not alone. I am also 43 and have been suffering from chronic daily tension headaches since I was in high school......and have tried everything imaginable. Neurologists, chiropractors, physical therapy, psychologist, biofeedback, dry needling, massage, MRI's, CAT scans, X-rays, steroid injections, Rx's like Topamax, muscle relaxers, antidepressants, narcotics, anti-inflamatories....the list is endless. I actually stopped trying to figure out why I have these headaches years ago, but I recently moved to another state and thought I'd see if the doctors here could help me. Went through a lot of the same stuff I went through years ago, with no new outcome. Just this week I saw an orthodontist. He wants to do an occlusal adjustment on me because he says my bite is "off". I have horribly tense muscles in my shoulders, neck, head, and jaw. Massage and physical therapy have not helped...AT ALL! The muscles are constantly tense. I know that TMJ can cause these kinds of issues, but I'm afraid of sinking yet more money into treatment that may or may not solve the problem. But my husband says to try....at the very least, we can just cross it off the list of treatments that didn't work. I just get my hopes up and am disappointed when it doesn't work. Sorry I wasn't much help. I just wanted you to know that you aren't the only one, and I do understand.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center