Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
headaches- related?altitude
saemus posted:
My wife never gets headaches! Last month while driving through the mountains of North Carolina she started getting headaches and they have not stopped for a month. We ascended to approximately 5,000 feet a few times and descended rather quickly.
Our Dr. put her on butalb-acetamin-cafe,which has not helped,Now he wants her to go for a brain scan and M.R,I.
Could altitude sickness last this long? It seems like she may have the bends,If she has a glass of wine the headaches get worse!
Any advise would be appreciated!

allie_bf responded:
Altitude can definitely bring on migraines in people who are sensitive to it (myself included.) The headaches specifically related to altitude should have subsided by now, but I wonder if she is getting rebound headaches. Over-use of acetaminophen containing compounds can also cause headaches, and many new migraineurs have a tendency to use too much pain medicine. It's very easy to get into the headache/take pain medicine/get new headache/take more pain medicine spiral, and much harder to get out of it. She may want to ask her doctor about other medication options, once her imaging studies confirm no worrisome sources for her headache. BTW, wine also can be a trigger for some people, and not just red wine, although that tends to be a more common trigger.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center