alternative to beta blockers...and migraines and pregnancy
NoMoreJim posted:
I have had migraines my whole life. Last year around this time I went to the Cleveland Clinic Headache Clinic. My Doctor there almost instantly diagnosed me with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, Which basically means when I stand up my heart rate flies up more that 30+ beats per minute than it was when I was sitting. Apperently it's very common among migrainiers.

He prescribed me a beta blocker as it would help with the POTS and with my chronic migraines. The beta blocker(nadolol) did wonders for both problems, and fixed issues I had all my life and never knew were symptoms of POTS. My doctor also made a point to tell me that this was something I would be able to stay on when I decided to start having children.

My issue is this, I also have asthma, asthma and beta blockers are a big no no. I was fine for about the first 6-8 months, although my asthma was getting progressively worse. I have now gotten to the point where I have had to wean off of the beta blocker because I couldn't breathe.

I'm wondering a couple of things. firsts, does anyone else have experience with POTS and migraines, secondly obviously I can't take beta blockers any more, does anyone have any experience with alternatives for migraine prevention that are NOT anti-depressants AND that would be safe during pregnancy?

I see my doctor's PA next week and I know that that, per my discussion with my doctor last week, he is going to want to try me on a low dose anti-depressant, which I am totally against considering my husband and I are hoping to start a family within the next year.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!