Skip to content
alternative to beta blockers...and migraines and pregnancy
NoMoreJim posted:
I have had migraines my whole life. Last year around this time I went to the Cleveland Clinic Headache Clinic. My Doctor there almost instantly diagnosed me with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, Which basically means when I stand up my heart rate flies up more that 30+ beats per minute than it was when I was sitting. Apperently it's very common among migrainiers.

He prescribed me a beta blocker as it would help with the POTS and with my chronic migraines. The beta blocker(nadolol) did wonders for both problems, and fixed issues I had all my life and never knew were symptoms of POTS. My doctor also made a point to tell me that this was something I would be able to stay on when I decided to start having children.

My issue is this, I also have asthma, asthma and beta blockers are a big no no. I was fine for about the first 6-8 months, although my asthma was getting progressively worse. I have now gotten to the point where I have had to wean off of the beta blocker because I couldn't breathe.

I'm wondering a couple of things. firsts, does anyone else have experience with POTS and migraines, secondly obviously I can't take beta blockers any more, does anyone have any experience with alternatives for migraine prevention that are NOT anti-depressants AND that would be safe during pregnancy?

I see my doctor's PA next week and I know that that, per my discussion with my doctor last week, he is going to want to try me on a low dose anti-depressant, which I am totally against considering my husband and I are hoping to start a family within the next year.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

Helpful Tips

HELP!!!
I am a healthy 13 year old male and I have recently been having had pains. For the last 6 months i had intense head pain. I head random ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center