Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Burning sensation in head and face and spine
Casey01733 posted:
All my life, I have experienced a strong burning sensation in my head and face (esp. when active). I am finally seeing a neurologist, who gave me 300 mg of Gabapentin. Now, the burning sensation is in my face, head, and spine. Well, it starts off in the spine, then moves to my head and/or face. I had an MRI of the head and the spine. They were negative.
My theory is that I have a virus in my CNS. I had fifths disease when I was 8, and also got bitten so badly by mosquitos that I almost had to go to the hospital.
This has preventing me from being active, and I have been overweight because of this. I want to be active now. Can anyone offer a diagnosis?

walmartsupermom responded:
I can not offer a diagnosis, but I can relate. I have a strong burning sensation in my spine that goes into my head and down my arms and legs at times. It can also include major tingling along the spine and in the face. My doctor is sending me to a neurologist in about a month (earliest I could get in) who will hopefully offer some answers, as will yours.
The best advice I can give is journal the amount of pain it causes (1-10), when it is at its worst and best, what makes it become worse (ie activity, laying down, etc), and what you are taking to cope with it then show this journal to your neurologist. This report will tell them exactly what the experience is like for you and what you've tired to do yourself for it. They can then take that information and provide a plan that will help you get up and going again.

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center