Skip to content
Topamax side effects!
aliciavr6 posted:
I get 'chronic daily headaches' with occasional migraines. I would get 4-5 bad headaches per week, they'd last until I went to sleep. They are bad and I can't function normally.

I've been on 100mg/day Topamax for about 10 months now. It works GREAT for the headaches, I get maybe 1-3 a month now.

Side effects...

First, of course I've experienced weight loss - no appetite at all. This is not good for me... I'm naturally underweight, 5'8", 115lbs. Now I am 5'8" 105lbs (dropped down to 100lbs, now making a conscious effort to gain weight by calorie counting). Not good. But that I can bear with! I can make myself eat.

But I just made the connection today I think, I think it's also making me depressed. I cry for no reason. I'm sad a lot. (No suicidal thoughts) Also I have no energy! I'm trying to figure out if it's the medicine. I am a single mom and can't keep up with things that need to be done around the house, kid's homework, etc. No motivation, I'm always tired. I don't want to go off the medicine and realize it wasn't that, because it helps me so much.

I don't know what to do! I don't know if I should try another medication? The weight thing is no big deal, but I definitely can't be sad all the time! I can't be tired and laying around all the time. It's not worth it to me. But to deal with headaches and migraines 4+ days a week.......ugh!

aliciavr6 responded:
Also, I've tried imitrex, but it never once worked or helped even in the slightest, and because of the frequency of my headaches, it doesn't make sense to have an "as needed" prescription. I tried frova once and had a very scary and embarrassing experience (had to lay down in my bosses office for 30 minutes ha!).

clsnip01 responded:
there are other meds that are targeted for migraines/ headaches. i was on topamax but the side effects where too much. i get migraines 6 out of 7 days week. i have found that meds you take on the on set of them are best because the side effects are either minimal of are short term, and they really knock out the migraines or headache. hang in there.

aliciavr6 replied to clsnip01's response:
I had my doctor's appointment and I'm switching to amitriptyline. Hopefully it's just as effective and even helps me gain some weight.

jentoo replied to aliciavr6's response:
be careful with the amitriptyline. I was on it for migraines and dr keep uping the dose because it wasn't working and it shut my bladder down. I fine as far as bladder is concerned now but it too several months of medication to correct it, as I was lucky and it was corrected. Back to topamax for me and trying to maintain 100 lbs at least

Helpful Tips

A good read for overall migraine conditions
http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-migraine-triggers-10505 More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center