Skip to content
Right side facial pain
Jimmer posted:
I don't know if this fits in this discussion category, but here goes anyway...

I have had what I'm going to describe for around 6 years. There are two levels of the pain, both on the right side. The low level pain primarily sticks to the bony area below the eye and is ever-present. It is annoying and I will rate it a 3 on a 10 scale.

The high level pain needs more description. I feel it coming (no, no halo) and have roughly 15 minutes until it reaches its peak pain which is a 9 on a 10 scale (I had a bad fracture in my hand once that hurt worse). The initial feeling is a tingle near the bony prominence between the ear canal and that prominence. The tingle flares about 5-8cm fanlike medially. Through this time, the low level pain begins to gain strength. The pain continues to grow until it reaches its '9' and I am unable to do anything but focus on the pain (in recent months, it has brought me to tears). The '9' pain lasts roughly 60-90 minutes, after which it tapers off about as fast as it started leaving me with a tenderness about the bony prominences around the eyes and superior cheek areas. There is generally also soreness for about half an hour longer around the temple and ear. Once this fades, I'm back to the low level pain to await another 'pain spike'.

I'm convinced these pains are from and injury to my ear (flying injury where ears would not depressurize over 3 layovers because I had a cold) because I often hear a roaring in my right ear during or just before a 'pain spike'. I'm further concerned that perhaps a blood vessel or nerve has been impinged in some way over the years as ibuprofen alone, back six years ago, used to take care of the pain completely (now it has no effect).

I would greatly appreciate advice for diagnostics to rule out my concerns. I am a registered nurse, and hope that my input to my primary will be considered heavily.

If anyone has had these symptoms or has any ideas at all, I'm listening. I can't take this anymore.

Jimmer responded:
One more thing to add. I can make the tingling sensation I mentioned above change at times with jaw movement. I think this is also pertinent.

Helpful Tips

Yoga Helps
Yoga is a good tool to reducing stress and the headaches that come with it. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center