Migraines w/ Pressure Systems
JeParson24 posted:
My mother (55 y/old) has been struggling with massive migraines her whole life. She gets hit with them hard in the winter and when a pressure system comes through. She has went through many doctors and had multiple MRI's and scans to figure out what is wrong. They speculated the migraines may have been caused by her rheumatic fever she had as a child. By definition my mother was used as a guinea pig. She has been prescribed tons of 'breakthrough' medications to help with her migraines. She is either allergic, like with Imitrex, or her side effects are so bad they have no other option but to take her off the medicine. Her current drug is Propranolol 40mg at a 1/2 dose. She started off taking a full dose, that only made her bed ridden and has worsen her menopausal symptoms 10 fold. Even with the 1/2 dose she has a hard time just getting out of bed in the morning. She is so fed up with nothing working and she just wants relief. Is there any medicine that can take away her pain for the type of migraines she gets? Please help!

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome,

I'm am so sorry to hear about your Mom, and you are wonderful for asking questions and trying to help her.

I am not an expert, so all I can advise is that you keep trying for her. There are many medications on the market.

Here is a link to our Headaches and Migraines Health Center .
there is a lot of information there, also read through our community here as well.

I hope others join in and support you too.

I hope she feels better and gets some relief soon.
Chrissy~

Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.
-William Ellery Channing