Skip to content
Odd aura - achy teeth and impaired hearing
JessyYanagi posted:
I had a hellish migraine with 5 - 6 attacks a week. I tried topamax, amitryptilin, but nothing really helped. In January my neurologist suggested botox-treatment. It's been a huge improvement. I still get attacks but they no longer put me in bed for days at a time. I was able to switch out imitrex by injection to nasal spray zolmitriptan.

Lately, I've been experiencing severe tooth ache and impaired hearing as part of the aura prior to an attack. Initially the achy teeth confounded me and I went to see my dentist. She couldn't find anything to explain the pain. My hearing returns to normal some hours after an attack. All, the achy teeth and the hearing impairment, is one-sided.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Jessy,

I'm so sorry to hear this.
I would call the doctor and ask about possible botox side effects for you. Share your symptoms and concerns.

Consult the doctor for sure.
Chrissy~

Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.
-William Ellery Channing

JessyYanagi replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
I spoke to the neurologist (he was away on holiday when all this began and has been hard to get in touch with).
He'll check if the trigeminal nerve is somehow involved at my next botox-appointment. Otherwise, the human brain, the complexity of nerves, he really didn't know. One of the reasons why I like this doctor; he clearly says when he doesn't know. At my first appointment with him he took a detailed history and concluded that I have a troublesome case of migraine (well yeah) and that he couldn't really offer up a simple solution, nor prescribe any medicine not previously tried. Came away from the appointment with a more positive frame of mind than during the 12 appointments with other doctors before him.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center