Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Verapamil?
An_249106 posted:
Hi everyone,

I've been suffering from migraines for about 18 years, and after being given various abortive medications that have about a 65% chance of working, I finally visited a neurologist to see about preventatives. My neurologist put me on Verapamil, 40 mg, once a day. At my next check-up, which was about a month after, she decided to up the dosage to 40 mg twice a day because the amount of migraines I got during the month did not change at all.

Two questions..

1. Has anyone else been on Verapamil for their migraines and had it work? If so, about how long did it take to really take effect?

2. Does Verapamil seem to effect menstrual cycles? I have been on BC for almost 7 years, and my period has ALWAYS come on a Saturday. I would say out of the 7 years, it has only come a handful of times on a Friday and maybe once or twice on a Sunday. Last month was the first time I got my period being on the Verapamil, and it came late (as in on a Sunday, not a Saturday). This is the second month I have been on the new medication, and I am supposed to be getting my period today, but it has not arrived yet. The only change I have made in my routine has been the new medication. I am not overly stressed, I have not been ill, I have normal BMI, and I take the BC at the same time every single day. The only thing I can think of is that the Verapamil has some effect on my monthly cycle, though my doctor never mentioned this to me, and I have not really found anything online about any side effects Verapamil may have regarding that. So I'm really at a loss.

Thank you!

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center