Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
migraines / post concussion syndrome
delilama posted:
I have been suffering from migraines and post concussion syndrome. I am in recovery and do not take narcotics. I have no insurance. Any thoughts?

allie_bf responded:
Actually, most migraineurs do not take narcotics anyway (except for the most severe exacerbations) so that is not a signficant barrier. You are fortunate in that some of the triptan drugs used to treat migraine are now off patent, and there are suitable generics available at a reasonable price (which was not the case only a few years ago.) Ask your doctor (or other health care professional, if you are seen in a clinic setting) about other options for pain medications: Toradol (ketorolac,) for example is a strong pain killer, but is non-narcotic, and chemically similar to ibuprofen. Ask your pharmacist if they have a self-insured discount program, or try one of the large warehouse retailers (e.g. Costco) to reduce your drug costs. Make sure you seek, and receive treatment for your migraines, as trying to "do without" is usually false economy; most people will lose more money in sick time, and reduced productivity when at work, than they will eat up in medical costs.

As far as the post-concussion syndrome goes, that is so variable that it's hard to tell how things will work out. After a MVA in '04, I also had migraines as part of the concussive symptoms. I still have more migraines today than I had pre-accident, but far less than the first couple of years afterwards. I hope that things work out for you. If the situation that caused your headaches was a liability situation, I would encourage you to speak with an attorney.

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center