Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Headaches and Brain Surgery
meaningfulc1952 posted:
I have had headaches migraine and tension ones since I was a teen and now I am 60 yrs. I am having botox treatments, but do not get that much relief even with them. Have a pm dr and neurologist too.
This is about my 42yr. old daughter and what happened to her. Abt Sept. this yr. my daughter started having severe, and shocking headaches. After exhausting all types of MRI's, ct scans, etc. and seeing a neurologist there was no clear diagnosis as to what was causing her headaches. Very recently she was referred to a neurosurgeon in TX and we all went to that appt. last week. The new dr. looked at these tests on the computer and said there is a blockage on one side where this vein does not get adequate blood supply. In fact he said that it looked like it was not open at all. At that appt. just last week, he scheduled her for brain surgery for this week on 12-12-12 in the Med Center in Houston. This dr. is the head of the neurosurgery and only sees patients once a week. He is also a professor on the other days.
After the surgery was done he told us that the vein on the one side of her brain was so pinched closed that she would have died if it had not been caught so soon. In other words, a blood clot would kill her if he had not found the REAL problem. We were all shocked and scared.
I have to say that my daughter just came home after 3 days in the hospital. Amazing!
The bottom line to all of you that get headaches is if you get a headache that is the most horrific and you never had them please go to the ER and keep pursuing whatever is causing your headaches. Originally, the first 2 drs. thought that she had migraines and or tension headaches and that was not the cause at all.
I hope that his will be of some help to you all that are just getting headaches and have not been fully diagnosed by your own drs.

As for my headaches they are migraines and tension ones and they drive me crazy. I take 2 different muscle relaxers and lexapro, sumatriptan, and have pain mgt. dr. that prescribes methadone a total of 80 millagrams in one day. My headaches started when I was a teen, but later in my 20's, I was told that I had TMJ and the oral surgeons that I saw all told me that I needed to have total jaw joint replacement. After 6 major jaw surgeries I am left in chronic pain. The last jaw surgery was in 1995 in Dallas. That surgery lasted 13 hrs. long. When I looked at my face I looked like someone beat the tar out of my face. It was black and blue and very swollen. All that I can say in my case is that I was told originally that if I had jaw surgery my headaches would go away. Well the rest is history. They just got worse.

If any of you have the most severe, horrific headache and never had one before like that please go to the ER and then follow up with the appropiate drs.. I can assure you in my daughter's case it saved her life. That is what her surgeon told her.

Take Care,
meaningfulc1952

meaningfulc1952 responded:
Hi to All that get Headaches!
This message is to anyone that has headaches and their dr. just does not know what is causing them. In my case, I have migraines and tension headaches.
If someone gets a headache and normally does not and the headache persists, then please get medical help. If your primary dr. dismisses your complaint, then I would say, please see a neurologist. In other words, do not give up until you know what is going on. This could save your life if you pursue getting help for the headaches.
That's all folks. I am not a Dr., but I have learned a lot about the different type of headaches that people get.

Take Care,
Meaningfulc1952

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center