Skip to content
nutritional supplements?
carmen_o posted:
Is anyone aware of any nutritional supplements, or anything out there to take to help prevent the attack of a migraine? So far my doctor has had me try blood pressure pills and Topomax, which help slightly, but I would love to know if there is anything out there that helps make these things from coming.

An_249441 responded:
You can do an Internet search on a phrase like "herbs to prevent migraines" and you'll get a lot of results. If you are lucky enough to live in a state where naturopaths are fully licensed, check in with one of them for supplements.

Watarimono responded:
As far as I'm aware, there are a number of supplements and herbs that can help. Really comes down to the individual though. Worth trying through a few.
-Vitamin b2
-Magnesium oxide
-Feverfew
-Butterbur
-Ginger root
-Rooibus
-All other B complex vitamins

The biggest, and typically most understated factor, is dietary in my mind. Eliminate things like MSG, excessive tyramine, nitrates, soy beans and preservatives. See if it helps before reintroducing them.

Good luck.

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center