Skip to content
Differentiating complicated migraine from stroke. Opinions?
Watarimono posted:
I have chronic / complicated migraines, and its always a worry or hard to tell if something is benign or not. Yesterday I had something that could very easily have been a stroke, but I ignored it. Maybe someone else has input.[br>[br>It started with a typical migraine prodome kind of phase. I felt emotionally strange, extremely tired, yet oddly alert. As I said, its difficult for me to tell, reality tends to have a trippy air to it anyway. I was in a store, shopping. And I couldn't shake this sensation, that the floor wasn't truly solid. In my mind's eye, I could almost see it dissolving or pulling away, and my feet were anticipating the surface beneath me to stop existing, and for me to fall through. I ignored it.[br>[br>When I arrived home I was more or less half conscious. Drifting in and out of being alert. At this point, some part of my mind became aware of the odd state, and I jolted into being hyperalert. My head had a fizzing feeling inside of it, and my right eye had a sensation like it wasn't working, or my field of vision was narrowing. I tested peripheral vision, I tested ocular muscles, pupils responded to light and tracked movement properly. I felt less than conscious, but couldn't find any measurable motor deficit. Facial muscles were fine, arms and legs were fine (I have allergies as well, and my left arm going limp is a symptom of some of them. Its hard to tell) Speech and memory was fine. I felt extremely tired. My face had waves of tingling on and off, but nothing sustained. Eye kept the sensation that it wasn't there however. [br>[br>I never fully slept. I could move, but I just didn't want to. The urge or drive wasn't there. I felt a bit of drool trickling out of my mouth but it didn't seem to matter. I remember mumbling the lines to some song I haven't listened to in years half aware of my surroundings. I slept quite poorly.[br>[br>Today I woke up. Feel really weak and spaced out, the right side of my brain feels numb and like theres a tight band wrapped around it. Eye feels like it exists, yet does not exist. Feel really apathetic and emotionless. Moreso than usual. I can't find much real....deficit, that I haven't experienced before. I have migraines at least 6 days a week. Eliminated all known triggers. Since I have a lot of neurological allergies, frequent migraines....this one was pretty different but its hard to tell. I feel strange and I just....I just don't know.[br>[br>Anyone experience anything like this, or have any kind of input? I tried to keep it short.

Watarimono responded:
Looks like there are some formatting errors. [br>[br> is supposed to be a new paragraph. The original message is still intact though.

I forgot to add. I had been feeling quite poorly for a while after running out of my multi vitamin. Because of my allergies I don't get to eat much, I figured my bodies stockpile of vital nutrients was likely quite low. I took 2x what I normally would have, at the time it seemed like it wasn't too far above baseline tolerances. The dosages are as follows.
Vitamin A - 30,000 Iu
Vitamin C - 2,000 Mg
Vitamin D - 3,200 Iu
Vitamin E - 400 Iu
Vitamin B1 - 200 Mg
Vitamin B2 - 100 Mg
Vitamin B6 - 50 M
Vitamin B12 - 2,000 Mcg
Vitamin B5 - 200 Mg
There is also chromium, zinc, and niacin as well. In retrospect, it seems foolish to have done that. I was in a lot of pain, and the desperation might have overshadowed more solid reasoning.

That may or may not play in. But I'm including it anyway. The amounts aren't high enough to cause acute toxicity, that I know of, but I could be completely wrong. It might not even be a factor at all.

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds. I'm the only one I've ever met who deals with such strange things, a beacon of familiarity wouldn't be unwelcome.

Watarimono replied to Watarimono's response:
One last addition. I can never seem to get this right the first time.

My blood pressure felt low, and my heart rate was subsequently very high. I didn't formally check, but I've been monitoring it long enough that I would estimate 110 - 130 bpm. As I said though, I have a lot of allergies. I had eaten in an unusual amount of coconut and possibly soy, both of which drop my blood pressure and reduce level of consciousness.

This is stressful because I can never tell, and I don't have the money or...resolve to rush off to the ER every time. Its unique because of how bad it got, and its lingering after effects today.

An_250014 replied to Watarimono's response:
I just responded to another post regarding visual impairments with migraine. All I can say is that you are not alone! I have had similar experiences as you: strange visual and neurological symptoms; fuzzy thinking; sensatory hallucinations; tiredness, etc. It is scary thing for sure. My migraines are connected to fluctuations in hormones, estrogen, and I was taken off the pill immediately after an appointment with a neurologist at NYC's Headache Institute. I am currently on an antidepressant, but I feel better because of stabilized hormones. (To prove this, I started using the Estring -- I am postmenopausal -- and after 3 weeks of this topical estrogen, I started getting my dizzy spells 2 times a day.) I have found lots of B vitamins is good; magnesium is good; CoQ10 can help; and when the pressure drops and it starts to rain, a decongestant with 2 Advils works wonders. Also EXCERISE! Yoga and jogging and dog walking are the best for me. My main advice is to find a neurologist, preferably one who gets migraines (mine does!), and get yourself checked out. Last words: my doctor told me to avoid anything that may annoy me (smells, florescent lights, sun flashing through the trees, chocolate, high pitched sounds). Laughingly she said, "that's the only way to prevent migraines!" Good luck.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center