Skip to content
Massive headache during sex
TexasRazorback posted:
Recently, I've been getting this massive headache while engaging in sexual activity. I've been sexually active for the past decade and have never had this problem before.

The pain from it usually starts out dull, then increases in severity as I reach my climaxing period. I've even noticed it during masturbation. I feel it mostly around and behind my ears; it even throbs. My partner and I have considered it a form of migraine, due to the symptoms. And since it only lasts for 5-20 minutes and usually can be calmed by just laying in a dark room in silence for that time.

I've tried OTC migraine medications (Bayer). Can't tell if that helps or not. Am I really that unhealthy?...so much so that I'm no longer suitable for sexual activity? Has anyone else suffered this as I have??

Any suggestions?

An_249960 responded:
I have the exact same problem. I hope health care provider or someone else that has experienced the same symptoms in the past can give us some insight into the cause. I'm scared to death each and every time it happens. Sex has now become, instead of a pleasurable experience, something which is dreaded,.

ScottFul responded:
I also have the exact same problem. This started just 5 days ago and has happened every time since. This also happens when i exercise. It is a pounding migrain that i suffer in the front part of my head (both sides). It mostly goes away when I mellow out a little; but a less severe (not throbbing) headache remains for the rest of the day. I'm 5'10", 171 lbs. 43 years,and exercised regularly prior to this..... I feel i am in good shape.

I try naproxen sodium as relief.... but, i too, cannot tell if it helps or not. I hope to see the Doc tomorrow. I cannot exercise or have sex with these occurances.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center