Skip to content
Migraines caused by an HDTV?
Silkworm posted:
I was recently on vacation with a friend and while gone my husband purchased a large 42" HDTV... our first HD. I was impressed with it when I returned, but after relaxing in front of the TV the first evening after I returned I developed a pretty bad headache. I was diagnosed at least a decade ago with migraines. Through journaling I was able to learn what to avoid to reduce my migraines substantially, now only experiencing those which are hormonal or menstrual related. I do have Imitrex tablets and injections which work well when I need them, approximately 22 times per year. Developing a migraine with no real reason was odd, but I chalked it up to plane travel, a change of environments after the trip, etc.... The next day the same thing happened. In the evening, after watching TV for a while, a migraine began rather suddenly (also odd), which seemed to be somewhat focused in my eyes. This happened again the next day, and the next, and the next day. It's been 6 days now. I believe they are caused by the TV. Has anyone heard of this? The TV is in the exact same location as the previous, and I have not changed my line of sight. Stopping my relaxation in front of the TV at night is not an option, however changing the TV is, if this is the issue. I read something about frequency and also about brightness settings. Is there some way to change a setting on the TV, the tilt, etc...? Are some HDTV's on a certain frequency that bothers people and other HDTV's not? Apparently ours is an inexpensive TV. Trying to puzzle through this. My husband loves the TV so hate to ask for it to go Bye-byes, but I cannot go to bed each night with a migraine. Can we adjust the TV we have, or purchase a different HDTV which has something about it that bothers people corrected? Thank You!

Take the Poll

Do you believe migraines can be caused by watching an HDTV?
  • No. Never heard of such a thing.
  • Yes, but only if you view it incorrectly (too close, etc...).
  • Yes, but only if your TV is cheaply made.
  • Yes, I have heard of this.
  • Yes, it has or does happen to me often.
vote
View Poll Results

wrgriffing responded:
We have had our 60" hdtv for a week and I have had over six episodes of migraine attacks after watching t.v. This is not normal as I normally have them every six months or more, never this frequently. This started after we got the t.v. HELP

Helpful Tips

Migraines
laying down in a dark room always helps me. More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center