Migraines Only During the Middle of the Night
jimivinva posted:
I started waking up between 1:30 & 3:30 in the morning with very bad headaches. For a about 3-year I thought they were sinus headaches. I did the doctor bit with an MRI of my head and all that. What I found out from a friend that maybe it was caused by chocolate. I stopped eating chocolate and the middle of the night headaches stopped. It did not matter when during the day that I ate the chocolate I didn't get the headache until the sleeping hours stated above.
A couple years later they started up again. I knew it wasn't caused by chocolate but they were just as bad. After a few weeks of going through all the pain, I decided to take all the food I had eaten the day before and put all of it in a spreadsheet. Not just the names of the food but all the ingredients within the box or package. What I found was that everything I had eaten the day before had CORN SYRUP and HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP in the products. I stopped eating anything with CS & HCS and the headaches stopped again. Just as a side issue, about 80% of all processed foods have CS & HCS in them.
Here I am again, the headaches have started up again. I haven't been able to figure out what is causing them this time. Again, I only get them between the sleeping hours of 1:30 & 3:30 in the morning not during the day. I'm looking at ingredients like "spices," what does that mean?
Here's the kicker, if I didn't have to lay down to sleep I wouldn't get the headaches. I know that sounds weird, but I flew from Detroit to Paris one time and I ate the chocolate cake but couldn't lay down to sleep that night because of being in the chair, I had to sit up. Didn't get the headache.
Anyone out there experiencing what I've been going through for nearly 20 years now?

An_249865 responded:
It sounds like Cluster Headaches or Alarm Clock Headaches. I'm not a doctor but that just what I personally think.

flowergal responded:
I have been experiencing similar symptoms for many years. It's like clockwork. At 3:00 a.m. I wake knowing that it's going to be a horrible morning. I am almost always congested on the same side of my face as the headache. I can't take my medicine on an empty stomach, so get up and eat a bowl of cereal, take meds (Butalbital), and get on the sofa for the remainder of the night so that I don't have to lie down again. Many mornings I end up vomiting. If I call in sick to work, I can use a phenergan suppository for the nausea, but will sleep for several hours. My headaches tend to be worse in winter, but are not exclusive to winter. I cannot take many of the newer meds because of a heart rhythm issue.