Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Migraines Only During the Middle of the Night
jimivinva posted:
I started waking up between 1:30 & 3:30 in the morning with very bad headaches. For a about 3-year I thought they were sinus headaches. I did the doctor bit with an MRI of my head and all that. What I found out from a friend that maybe it was caused by chocolate. I stopped eating chocolate and the middle of the night headaches stopped. It did not matter when during the day that I ate the chocolate I didn't get the headache until the sleeping hours stated above.
A couple years later they started up again. I knew it wasn't caused by chocolate but they were just as bad. After a few weeks of going through all the pain, I decided to take all the food I had eaten the day before and put all of it in a spreadsheet. Not just the names of the food but all the ingredients within the box or package. What I found was that everything I had eaten the day before had CORN SYRUP and HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP in the products. I stopped eating anything with CS & HCS and the headaches stopped again. Just as a side issue, about 80% of all processed foods have CS & HCS in them.
Here I am again, the headaches have started up again. I haven't been able to figure out what is causing them this time. Again, I only get them between the sleeping hours of 1:30 & 3:30 in the morning not during the day. I'm looking at ingredients like "spices," what does that mean?
Here's the kicker, if I didn't have to lay down to sleep I wouldn't get the headaches. I know that sounds weird, but I flew from Detroit to Paris one time and I ate the chocolate cake but couldn't lay down to sleep that night because of being in the chair, I had to sit up. Didn't get the headache.
Anyone out there experiencing what I've been going through for nearly 20 years now?

An_249865 responded:
It sounds like Cluster Headaches or Alarm Clock Headaches. I'm not a doctor but that just what I personally think.

flowergal responded:
I have been experiencing similar symptoms for many years. It's like clockwork. At 3:00 a.m. I wake knowing that it's going to be a horrible morning. I am almost always congested on the same side of my face as the headache. I can't take my medicine on an empty stomach, so get up and eat a bowl of cereal, take meds (Butalbital), and get on the sofa for the remainder of the night so that I don't have to lie down again. Many mornings I end up vomiting. If I call in sick to work, I can use a phenergan suppository for the nausea, but will sleep for several hours. My headaches tend to be worse in winter, but are not exclusive to winter. I cannot take many of the newer meds because of a heart rhythm issue.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center