Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What do you use for migraine prevention?
FrenchBulldogMom posted:
Hi. My neurologist prescribed Topomax for me several months ago but I had to go off of it because it gave me horrible diarrhea. She changed me to Verapamil last month, but it is not helping as much. I still have 3-4 major migraines each month. I'm going to my doctor tomorrow, but I was wondering what meds you guys have tried. She might try me on Propranolol tomorrow.

An_249441 responded:
The combination that works for me is 75mg nortriptyline ( pamelor) 50mg topirimate (topomax) 10-20mg atenolol (beta blocker)

With this mix I only get 4-5 light migraines a month that are easily knocked down with one maxalt.

itmatsb responded:
I didn't do well on any of the daily preventative migraine meds, but that's not to say that you shouldn't try the various ones. What has worked for me are Effexor (now the newer version of Pristiq), Petadolex (an herbal one), Namenda (an off-label medication), and Butrans patches. The Butrans patch is a low dose of opiates which have allowed me to walk more without getting a terrible migraine and has also kept me out of the ER. I used to have to go to the ER frequently.

But I also get nerve block, trigger point injections and Botox injections. But then I've got an unusually difficult migraine to treat because it was caused by a major stroke. You shouldn't need nearly as much, but just to let you know there other remedies.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center