Skip to content
My mygraine relief
sulfites posted:
Hope this helps someone.... At about age 30 I started having severe dibilitating headaches with vomiting and dizziness, lasting from 1-3 days. They seemed to come from nowhere. They got worse and I seemed to feel sick all the time. As mother with 3 young ones, life was nearly impossible. I eliminated wine as a cause because I stayed sick with no wine. Fortunately, I finally identified "sulfites" as my trigger. Sulfites in wine (alcohol) hit fastest and hardest (ALL wines). However, the myriad of foods that are sulfited, include instant potatoes, prepared horseradish (think cocktail sauce, Little Debbie oatmeal cookies, girl scout jam cookies, most flour tortillias, many pickles and pickled peppers, many dried fruits, preserved coconut, many lemon products (lemon slush drinks!!!), canned pimentos .... the list is looooong. I check labels for bisulfites, polybisulfites, metabisulfites ...anything with 'sulfite.' I get tripped up regularly, especially when travelling. Eating out is a pain. MOST chefs and food service staff are pretty clueless and those who are aware never guess the extent of 'contamination.' Recently my 26 year old daughter started getting very sick with horrid headaches. She was sure it wasn't the wine .... because she got sick when she had no wine. Oh yes .... she tries to stay sulfite free now. Also have niece who is affected. It has changed my life to figure this out. Hope it helps someone.

Helpful Tips

There are many causes of daily headaches and many treatments
Your husband needs to see a doctor to at least have a battery of blood tests, including tests for thyroid, RBC magnesium, vitamin B12, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center