Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How can you nail down symptoms of a common migraine vs. classic migraine?
hoobair1118 posted:
My wife has had migraines since she was 15 years old. Shes 27 today and still about every 1 or 2 times out of every month gets a migraine but she can't figure out why or what is causing them. She recently went on a diet cutting all sugars out so she was sure that it had nothing to do with the sugar but she just recently got a migraine and was unsure why. She has been to 5 doctors since she has her first one but no one has been able to help explain it. She has the common symptoms of blurred vision when she feels one coming on. How can we nail down some concrete evidence on something that may be triggering it or is it not just certain things that cause migraine, can it be multiple? Just looking for some advice from doctors to see where to go from here because she is really irritated by not knowing what she may be doing wrong if anything to trigger them

rosielou responded:
Hi,

It's nice of you to help your wife, we're all smiling and happy for her. A good place to start might be a headache diary. There are a lot of good apps out there if she has a smart phone, I like Damon Lynn's My Pain Diary, but there are many others.

Some of the most common triggers are food, liquor, weather, stress, sleep changes, women's cycles, and a million other things, as you know. Just start marking down each headache and a pattern might develop.

I hope others chime in and give their advice because knowing your triggers can be the key to gaining control.

Best to you. Rosie

FlyAway57 responded:
RosieLou is right, there are many triggers and keeping a diary does help. For women, hormone fluctuation is a major trigger. Weather is another one to consider. Magnesium, B2, Q10 supplements can help,(google to find out the higher dosage) but it takes a few weeks for these to start having an effect. If she doesn't have access to the more expensive migraine relief meds like zomig or imitrex, try taking an acetaminaphen and ibubrofen together, this was recommended by my doc for mild migraines.
Other common symptoms of migraines are light and sound and smell sensitivity , vomitting and a nasty pain in the head.
Sometimes nothing works and you just have to ride it out.
The drs may never be able to explain it, but they can prescribe rescue meds which do work most of the time, and there are various prevention meds...its generally trial and error to find which work for you.
Good Luck

pollen80 responded:
Your poor wife! I think a headache diary is great, that way you can figure out what's triggering the pain. In terms of relief, what does she take? How does she alleviate? I found this site with daily tips that are pretty helpful, all sorts of different topics, and headaches is one! Hope you find it helpful and your wife feels better. Here it is: http://bit.ly/VSHOtg

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center