Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chronic Tension Type Headache
sparty10 posted:
Hello,

I have had daily tension type headache for about year and a half now. There was a stressful life event which coincided with beginning of headaches and may have had something to do with headaches. But i am not stressed anymore but still have these headaches. I was on Pamelor (nortriptyline) for 6 months, although the intensity of headache decreased there was not a day in which i had no headache. I stopped taking pamelor 4 months ago. Now i visited a neurologist and have started taking Zoloft from past 10 days.

My headaches mostly are band like dull to moderate constant pressure. But many times they also spread to top of head, base of head, neck etc.. One important thing i have noticed in the recent past is the headache changes with the position of my head. If i am lying down then my band like ache goes away, and there is some ache in the back of head where my head touches pillow. If i sit up, then the band headache returns like turning a switch on!. If i tilt my head to left, my right side of head n face feels the pull and vice versa (basically the side away from floor, towards sky hurts more than the opposite).
got brain MRI done recently with and without die. Report says findings are 'unremarkable' and everything is normal. MRV is being held up by my insurance company.

I dont want to get into this loop of - Its a tension headache - lets try this medication for few months, then increase the dose, if it doesnt work change the medication etc.. I have tried cardio exercising regularly, relaxation and has not helped much. I suspect that the headaches are not simple 'tension' headache caused due to stress or eyestrain.

Would appreciate any comments, advise or suggestions. Thanks.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center