Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cluster headache or migraine? Please help!
Kristen1121 posted:
I used to get migraines from when I was 16 til recently ( I'm 21 ) and I could take excedrin put a cold rag on my head lay down and it be gone in 30 minutes to an hour but in the last year or so I've been having the same pain as a migraine , all pain behind my eye on one side and spreading to my cheek , but unlike my normal migraines the medicine does not work AT ALL and I'm using excedrin migraine strength and the pain lasts from 4 to 8 hours its not short like everything I've read says cluster headaches are. They started about in the fall and stopped through winter and have come back since the beginning of spring. Sometimes they wake me up at night and if I have one before bed I usually can't sleep until its gone. iF ANYONE has any advice please let me know.

rosielou responded:
Hi Kristen1121,

So sorry your headaches are getting worse, when they disrupt your sleep it's like you lose a whole day sometimes. I have a few things that might help. However, with your headaches increasing in pain, and maybe frequency (but I'm not sure of that), it's probably time for a trip to the doctor.

You say you're taking Excedrin Migraine, but that might be causing rebound headaches if you're taking more than 2-3 doses a week. Be careful of OTC meds, they can cause problems themselves. Also that has acetaminophen in it, which causes other problems if you take too much. An OTC with just an NSAID and caffeine, like Blowfish (funny name but it works great), is easier on your system; or Aleve and a cup of coffee works also.

Headaches that stop in winter and reappear in spring might have an allergy relationship. Do you keep a headache diary? If not, now might be a good time to start. There are some good apps out there, or google it and there are plenty of other examples. Your doc will appreciate the diary, but you might be surprised with what you learn from it.

I hope this helps a little. I've had migraines for decades and have a lot of tricks, so if I can help please just let me know.

RL

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center