Skip to content
Petadolex -Butterbur root extract
ellsworth52 posted:
I started on a 3 a day regiment of this supplement 6 days ago. I will continue to be on this for 3 more weeks, before reducing the dosage to 2 a day. Like most supplements, it does take awhile for it to work. I am hopeful that it will help me cut-down on the number of migraines I have during a month.
Petadolex has been around for a very long time, but it appears they are the only ones that have a patented process that remove the toxins that are normally in Butterbur. So I am confident trying this product. (I use supplements for other ailments and I know them to work. Besides, I love the fact there are no side-effects. The natural toxins, if not removed properly, can cause stomach-cramping.) There are other supplements out there, but I felt most comfortable trying this one.
I'll keep you posted. Shirley
FirstPrevious12NextLast

rosielou responded:
Hi Shirley,

How much butterbur is in each pill? Like so many I've been on Rx for years, but lately I've been considering trying something from the alternative world. I'm so nervous about going off the meds and kicking off a round of blazing migraine pain.

Rosie

ellsworth52 replied to rosielou's response:
Hi Rosie -
The Petadolex Pro-active supplement has 50 mg. of Butterbur extract per pill. Initially you have to take 3 pills a day, for a month (like usual with natural supplements). I've only been on it for one week. I had a migraine on the each of the first 3 days, then no migraine on the next 4 days. Yesterday I started my second week and I had a migraine, but no migraine today. I have always been lucky (?) to have 1-2 days a week without a migraine, so this is better so far. I want to be on it for a full month before I continue to take it on a regular basis. After the first month, you take just 2 pills a day for a few weeks. After that you can try just one pill a day.
Petadolex brand has a patented processing system to remove the toxins that are normally in Butterbur extract, therefore it is the safest Butterbur you can buy. I have opted to take this one. Butterbur supports healthy blood vessel tone as well as normal blood flow in the brain. It has given me no side effects and I'm tolerating it well.
I want to use this as a preventative, as I take none. I only take an abortive - Zomig - after I get a migraine. Are you on a medicine preventative? None of them ever worked well enough for me.
I have had good luck with other natural supplements, so I am always willing to try them. I will let you know after the end of the second week how it is working.
Shirley

rosielou replied to ellsworth52's response:
Hi Shirley,

You are having great response to the butterbur. That must feel so good, not just being without headache, but also the satisfaction of researching and finding a good answer to your problem.

Nortriptyline, topirimate, and atenolol are my daily preventatives and I feel like I finally have good control of the headaches. I'm only getting about 5 a month now instead of 4 a week, it's a huge improvement. The pain level of most of them is much lower, a Blowfish or Aleve coffee is sometimes all I need to get rid of the pain, Maxalt for the others.

I'll keep following your experiment, this is fascinating to me.

Rosie

Hi Rosie -
That's great your combination of meds is working for you. I just haven't had much success with prescribed meds.

I am hopeful about the Butterbur because I have had 15 - 25 migraines a month for over 20 years now. If I can even cut the number down by just a few - I'd be thrilled. Having a few more days in a row being migraine-free is my goal, so I can actually work on projects, or get something done. I can take up to 5 Zomig a day for my migraines, if I have to, but usually 1-2 works each time (with a strong cup of coffee & 1 Alleve) to get rid of it. My only complaint with Zomig is I am so tired that day, and a few days later also. I am not a person who likes to just sit around, but with this many migraines, I can't do much else until I get relief. (Which for me can be 2-4 hours after taking Zomig etc.)

I'll keep you posted how my trial with Butterbur works next Mon. (my second completed week with it).
Shirley

Hi Shirley,

I hope your trial with Petadolex Butterbur is still going well. Have your headaches gone away or at least become less frequent?

Rosie

Hi Rosie -
I haven't sat down yet to see the total migraines I have had since using the Petadolex Butterbur, but I had one yesterday. I checked my calender and it had been 5 days since my last migraine! So this supplement is working for me - I just passed the first month on it and now I will reduce it to 2 pills a day. I am curious to see if the supplement will still work at a reduced amount. My next check up is in Sept. - by then, I'll have had a long enough "trial" for my doctor to see the results. I'm lucky that my doctor using all means of healing - medical, herbal, and holistic. Many times I've been able to tell him about something I've used, that works, which he passes the information on to other patients that could do a trial themselves. The next time I post, I will have a more detailed report. Shirley

Ok that sounds like a plan. Thanks for letting us know of your progress.

Rosie

Hi Rosie -
On the 20th I started taking one less pill, taking just 2 per day. For the last 12 days, I've had 10 migraines. I'm feeling discouraged.
In April, I had 22 migraines. In May, I had 19. I was really hoping for a more significant drop in the numbers.
I will continue to record the migraines until I see my doctor in Sept.
Hopefully the numbers will continue to drop -- we'll see...Shirley

itmatsb responded:
I've been taking Petadolex for 2 years now. I did feel some relief from taking them, but I never heard about reducing the dose which I have kept the full dose the whole time.

RosieLou, if your preventative meds have helped you, I would consider staying with them, especially if you have insurance covering them. The cost for the Petadolex is $55/month which insurance does not cover. I was not helped by the daily preventative meds and I do fully concur with Ellsworth that you would not want to take any other butterbur herbal which will have toxins in them. Besides, because Petadolex is manufactured in Germany, they are fully evaluated by the government there for all toxins. The FDA does not evaluate any herbals in the U.S.

To Ellsworth, If you don't find as much relief from the full dose of Petadolex and you don't find relief from the daily preventative migraine meds like RosieLou is taking, then you would be a very good candidate for Botox to work on you. It's helped me tremendously. No medication goes into your body at all. Plus I get other treatments and meds because I have extremely difficult migraines to treat since they were caused by a stroke.

I wish the best to both of you.

ellsworth52 replied to itmatsb's response:
Hi itmatsb -

The product directions on my bottle of Petadolex said to decrease amount to 2 per day, then 1 per day. I think I had better results with 3 per day, so I'm going back to that. I have been leary about trying Botox as I know it paralyzes the muscles in your forehead. What other treatments have you tried? I am curious if you have tried acupuncture. I am on my 4th abortive (Zomig) and Topomax, Neurontin, and Lyrica did not work for me. I also had a full-year trial of a spinal implant - didn't help at all. I just finished a 'run' of migraines - 1 per day for 10 days; I'm hoping today (day 11), I don't have one.
When taking the Petadolex 3 times per day, it seemed to give me more non-migraine days between 'runs'.
thanks for the info. Shirley

rosielou replied to itmatsb's response:
itmatsb,

You're probably right about staying on the meds. This current combo of preventatives is giving me good relief, which I haven't had for about 40 years.

My reason for considering the alternative world is because I can't take other meds for my fibro and arthritis because they clash with the migraine meds, preventative and abortive. However, the truth is that over the years the migraines have disabled me the most. I need to remember that.

Thanks for giving me a little poke to think about the big picture again.

Rosie

Shirley,

Ah, that's not good that the headaches are back like that. I'm sad for you, thought this was going to be a great answer. Seeing that "itmatsb" has been taking the full dose with some good result might work for you also.

I have had more headaches than usual lately, probably because of the change of seasons. It's been windy and that always bothers me.

I hope things improve for you.

Rosie

Rosie -
Well, I went on to having a migraine on day 11 and on day 12 - I'm just waiting to see if I get another today. The longest run on daily migraines was 25 days last Dec. I am ready to have a lobotomy!!
I have Fibromyalgia, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, Osteoporosis - but my migraines cause me the most grief also. Shirley

itmatsb -
I increased the Petadolex to full dose 2 days ago, so we'll see how I feel in a week.
Have you tried Acupuncture? I picked up a flyer on migraines yesterday and it said people can have up to a 50% reduction in their migraines. I'm going to suggest it to my regular doctor. Anything is worth a try. Shirley

ellsworth52 replied to ellsworth52's response:
Hi Rosie -
Over the last week I have had only 2 migraines - which means I had 5 days without a migraine - hooray - I can't remember the last time I went 5 whole days without pain. So, I think increasing the dose of Petadolex to the full dose of 3 per day is working. I will continue to take them and keep a journal to give to my doctor at my Sept. appt.
So many times things will work for awhile and then stop - I sure hope this isn't the case this time.
I also eat 2 TB. of Quinoa grain mixed with greek yogurt and chia seeds every day. The grain has the highest amount of Riboflavin in it along with the 8 amino acids our bodies need. Years ago, people took high doses of riboflavin and magnesium to help with their migraines. I figure it can't hurt, being I'm trying natural products. Shirley

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center