Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
migrianes
chronicmigriane posted:
I had a full blown migraine for a week now. I have taken Topamax 25mg which my Dr . has prescribed me. It hasn't worked cause its full blown. I slept for 2 days straight, Had dizziness, light headed , blurred vision, tingling in my hands. I had Thyroid Cancer that was removed in 2009 and the Cancer came back in 2011 did all the treatments. Still had the headaches , but not as bad. Till last Saturday its been none stop. I don't know what to do? I have tried the heating pad the ice on my neck , that didn't help . I cant even go to school , had to take a LOA . Is there anyone out there can help me or give me advice or directions please .... Thank you

NeNe_11 responded:
Topamax is only a preventative medication & will stop a migraine once it has begun. Call your doctor & he/she should be able to call you in a rescue or abortative medication.

ellsworth52 responded:
Topamax is a preventative migraine treatment - it usually takes a few weeks before it really works as a preventative. It is supposed to lessen or prevent the number of migraines you get.

There are many 'abortives' that can help once you get a migraine - these abort or stop the migraine in it's tracks. If I can catch my migraine at the very beginning, my abortive works within an hour. If my migraines is already full-blown (like if I wake up with it), my abortive can take up to 3 hours to abort it.

I would call your physician and get a prescription for an abortive. This should really help.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center