Skip to content
My son's headache is back
ndphmother13 posted:
My son was not yet eight when one night he said he had a headache with a fever after giving him children's Advil he went to bed. The following day the fever was gone but the headache stayed for 2 years!!! Those began my time dealing with NDPH. During those years he had an MRI, CAT SCAN, ECHO, and enough blood test to make a vampire very happy. Every test came back normal except the MRI did show he had had a silent stroke as an infant that effected his right side, but everyone one said this WAS NOT the cause of his headaches. He was given 5 different drugs... no help... finally beta blocker needles were given weekly and the pain over months lessened from a constant 2.5 out of 5 on the pain scale to a 1 out of 5 when they stopped working. We were desperate and tried acupuncture since "western medicine" doctors told us that there was nothing they could do and that my 9 year old just had to except the fact that he had to live with chronic pain and we should be happy it was down to a 1...surprisingly I was not happy with this answer. By some miracle the acupuncture and use of Chinese herbs worked and two days before his two year anniversary of when his headache started my son was finally pain free. (It is important to note that his last session of acupuncture before his headache went away caused him to experience a lot of neck pain which lasted for a few hours.)

Lets move forward a two years...my son has experienced off and on headaches over this period that last up to half a day but get better with drugs and do go away. These occurrences have become more frequent over the last little while. The pain is in the same area it has always been and is the same type of pain, but is stronger then it has ever been (thankfully it will go away). He seems to wake up either vomiting or with a sever headache or both. He has seen 4 different doctor's over the last month, and some believe that his neck has been effected by the stroke (he does have hyper flexibility)and is causing the headaches or vomiting or the odd time neck pain after he sleeps. He has now almost missed a month of school because of these constant health problems and has even had to be rushed to emergency for morphine when he had a headache that was at 4.5 out of 5 for over 6 hours until the morphine kicked in. He cried in pain the whole 6 hours!!!!

I need help on what I can do for him!!! Each doctor he has seen says something different and NO ONE seems to be able to help him and acupuncture has yet to be effective.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate ... I am desperate once again!!!!

Thanks

Helpful Tips

Migraines
laying down in a dark room always helps me. More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center