Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
botox injections for migraines
livingpoetry posted:
I have never gotten the botox injections before and needless to say I am a little nervous and also a little afraid. How does the injections work? Do the injections hurt? Also, do they cause you to have a migraine?

itmatsb responded:
Botox has helped me tremendously. I've had Botox injections every 10 weeks for the past 3 years. Most people I believe can go 3 months or more with them. My migraines are especially difficult to treat due to them being caused by a stroke. I would be in severe pain most days of the month without them. I have never had a bad reaction from them. I would make sure that you get a doctor who has significant experience with them and ask what side effects the doctor has had with their patients. My botox doctor has given them for years and said that occasionally someone has some neck heaviness for several days or some inflammation at the site.

Why are you considering Botox? Have you not had any relief from the daily preventative migraine meds such as Topomax or Nortriptylene? I would greatly recommend the Botox IF you haven't had relief from these meds.

And does it hurt? Yes, ever so briefly across the forehead, but nothing like the pain from my migraines. The other areas for the injections don't bother me at all and I've got fibromyalgia where the central nervous system is super sensitive to everything.

There are many other treatments and some other meds that you could also try. Let me know what you decide.

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 66 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center