Skip to content
8 Unilateral Year Non-Stop Headache With Exacerbations and Eye Tenderness
misfit27 posted:
Hello All,

I am a 38 year-old male, athletic-frame, 6'1, 185lbs, considered by most standards to be in excellent physical condition. People often guess me 10+ years younger than I am. I surf, skateboard, ride bikes and motorcycles on a near-daily basis.

I've had a headache since 2005. Some days it's almost nonexistent, others very severe. Always on my left side, always just over the eye. It responds moderately to xanax and valium, very little to tramadol and opiates, and very well to ambien. Indocine has no effect, high-dose steroids seem to help for a couple of days. Tylenol is my go-to medication, but it is by no means reliable. Adderall makes it easier to cope.

I've had 7 years of negative MRI's, blood tests, CT's, EEG's, EMG's and neuro exams. I've seen neurologists, neuro opthamologists, Physical therapy, acupuncture, radio frequency, steroid injections, chiropractic adjustments and dietary changes have had no effects at all.

Other findings that might be significant - stiffness and soreness in left side of jaw and neck. Pain and tenderness when touching left eye - I'm now nearly certain this is the origin of the headache, however, I have seen 2 reputable neuro opthamologists who have found nothing. At times, however, in the past, I have been convinced the cause was neck or jaw related. Another possible noteworthy fact is that if I take ambien the night before, I am much less likely to have a bad headache the following day.

At this point, I'm at my end. I don't know what to do and I am afraid the medications I take (most of which don't work anyway) are going to shorten my life. I do my best to be optimistic, but as it stands, right now, my basic purpose is to witness a bad headache. I don't remember what life was like without the headache, but it sure sounds amazing. I don't know where else to turn, but I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions. I live in NYC, but can travel. I am happy to be a published case, I hate the fact that other people are probably suffering from this as well.

Thank you, I hope you aren't in pain,

Brian

Helpful Tips

Yoga Helps
Yoga is a good tool to reducing stress and the headaches that come with it. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center