Skip to content
Migraine headache from Alcohol (not a hangover)
An_252393 posted:
First let me say, I know what I hangover is - in a not-so-long-ago life (college, post-college) I was well acquainted with them. I also used to get migraines post-workout (Nausea, light sensitivity, irritable, pounding head, sore neck, occasional vomiting). I found a simple cure to those, by taking a couple, or even one, ibuprofen prior to a workout - boom, no headache.

About 1.5 years ago I woke up after drinking a fair amount (xmas party) with the worst hangover I've ever had. I told my wife this feels like a migraine. Since then, I've noticed even small amounts of alcohol always lead to migraine type pains the next day. For sure, the less the alcohol, the smaller the migraine. For example, in Italy, my wife and I shared a bottle of wine - 2 glasses a piece or so. By 6am the next morning I was vomiting, sweating, pounding head. Since then I've noticed that ANY amount of alcohol and within hours I am suffering. Kind of takes the fun out of happy hour, vacations, nice restaurants, etc.

The pre-cocktail ibuprofen does nothing. Wondering if anyone else out there experienced this and knows a cure or a recommendation.

rosielou responded:
Sounds like you've entered the wonderful world of migraine triggers. There is really no way out except avoiding the trigger, meaning quit drinking. Lots of us can't drink alcohol, even tiny amounts. I had a 1/2" of red wine two weeks ago and kicked off a blazing migraine. Really I should know better but darn that stuff is so good and I just wanted a little taste.

You might want to go to a doctor, pref a neurologist specializing in headaches, for a work up. If you only get the migraines from alcohol then you're lucky and prob don't need preventative meds. Anyway the doc and you can decide if abortive meds (to stop the headaches

rosielou replied to rosielou's response:
Sorry, hit the Submit button in error.

Anyway, the doc and you can decide if you want to start using abortive meds to stop the headaches.

Good luck.

RL

Helpful Tips

Migraines
laying down in a dark room always helps me. More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center