Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Atypical hemiplegic basilar migraines
Penelopepickle posted:
Oh I got a long story, this started 5 years ago, strange things happening to my body but I will tell you what has been happening in the last 7 mths. I started sleeping 12 to 15 hrs a day. I started having heaviness into arms and then complete stiffness in my neck and upper back. During this I was driving and my face suddenly went numb, tingling my right face drooped. I called my eye doctor who I've been seeing for the 5 years because I lost my eyesight for a few minutes and a month later I had uveitis.(multiple times) Anyways she tells me to go straight to emergency room. They checked for stroke and even thought shingles or bellspalsey. They gave me steroids and within the second dose my neck was totally fine. Pain was gone!! I was so excited because I finally had relief after 3 1/2 mths. Soon as I was off the steroids it came right back. I already had an appointment finally with the ms clinic because it seemed I might have it. I had another one of these episodes right in front of the neurologist which he said he was scared for me. My eyes always glaze over, they hurt, I have slurred speech, face is tingly numb. Emergency MRI, I have for lesions in my brain. That episode left me out of it for days. My body hurt, head slumped over ,lose consciousness over and over again. My brain seems fried. I have tremors, spasms and can't think clearly. I am 37 years old and never had a headache in my life. I have had 5 episodes in a short amount of time. Now my legs are in pain and are heavy. Burning pain in both arms and legs. I just had an episode where it was like I was in a dream, my husband says I was in the car with a blank stare and would answer his questions and making grunting sounds. When I came to I had a nasty metallic taste In my mouth and massive amounts of siliva in my mouth. I kept swallowing over and over. They think I had a seizure. I went straight to bed and my body was hurting. I had an EEG done which showed nothing. I've had 30 plus tests including spinal fluid for ms. Ana for lupus but nothing came back conclusive. My neuro says its atypical hemiplegic basilar migraines. Possibly familia hemi because my sister suffers from massive migraines since she was little . Genetic testing is the next test, but I have lost eye sight. My eye doctor says I've lost my lower right eye and peripheral left. I asked from what and she said it isn't my eye it's my brain. It's getting real scary now. They have me on lots of meds but the newest one is verapamil. I haven't had one since being on it. But who knows they happen so fast and last for so long. I'm scared about driving, showering, being alone. They told me I have to go to the er every time this happens because I could have a brain bleed or something. I mean is possible?? Does any of this sound familiar to anyone here. I've also lost reflexes in both legs. No one can tell me why either. There is a lot of I don't knows coming from doctors. Anyone have basilar?? Explain please

Helpful Tips

Soda for Sinuses
I know this sounds crazy but I swear by a can of Coca-Cola whenever my sinus headaches flare. Gives me a long for medicine to kick into ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 37 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center