Skip to content
11 year old with migraines.....need suggestions
sssfletcher posted:
I'm desperately looking for some advice on how to give my daughter some relief with her migraines! She is having them every 5-6 days and they last between 3 - 10 hours. She has had a c-scan to rule out anything serious. She hasn't started her period yet so I am wondering if its hormonal. Anyway, she has an rx for imitrex but it doesn't cut it. She is wadded up in a ball the entire day in a dark room, vomiting, and beside herself. I am panicking a little as school starts in a week and she will be missing a ton if this continues! The day after the migraine she is exhausted and then after 2-3 days of 'normal' life she starts the cycle all over again. My heart just breaks for her.

I am looking for any suggestions at this point! We have knocked out any caffeine - which she's never consumed a lot of, made a strict sleep schedule, stopped wearing pony tails in her hair, continually wearing sunglasses outside, staying well hydrated. I need more preventative suggestions and also treatment for when they do occur. I have read about knocking out dairy but she has never had a problem with it! She is also celiac so it would be very difficult to eliminate dairy also.

Thanks for any help offered!!!

5608jimmy responded:
I am not a doctor but I am a mom of two migraine sufferers. My son had them from the time he was about six and outgrew them by the time he was about 16. They are very infrequent now. My daughter is 19 and started to get them more recently. There are only a few things that work or worked for them. One is to take acetaminophin as soon as the slightest headache begins and lay down for about a half an hour. Once the headache comes on full force, the only relief I can provide is through foot massage, particularly in the area of the toes. I hope this helps your daughter. And I hope she outgrows the headaches soon.

mikomiko12 responded:
Hopefully you've found some relief for her by now! I'm 25 now, and my migraines starred about the same age as your daughter. I found drinking caffeine actually helped when I did have a migraine, but I avoided it at other times. My mama would give me real Coke when I felt the migraine starting and it would help if I caught it early enough. I started with Imitrex as a rescue medicine and eventually switched to the injection form of it (it comes in a needless form) because the pills didn't work for me and Relpax. If she's taking anything in the triptan family too frequently, it might cause rebound headaches, but i'm sure your doctor has warned you of that.

If she's celiac, i'm sure you're monitoring her diet well but is she coming in contact with gluten through other sources? Shampoo or soap or contact with a pet who isn't eating gluten free food? I'm just now starting to research a gluten-free lifestyle and talking to my own neurologist about gluten being a migraine trigger.

I'm just speaking from personal experience, but if smells don't bother her, sometimes essential oils (like lavender or other light, not overpowering, stress relieving smells) and foot rubs or temple massages helped to ease the pain.

Hopefully you can find ways to ease her migraine pain and she'll outgrow them soon! It's not fair to little kids to have to deal with them!

Best of luck!

phelix responded:
I hope your daughter is finding some relief somehow. I'm 23, and have been dealing with migraines my whole life. As mikomiko12 said, I found that caffeine (in moderate doses) actually helped me. However for me lavender is a trigger, but I agree smells, light, motion are definite triggers. I'm not sure how, but sometimes a cold wash cloth on my head and lying down for a bit magically helped to. Years ago my neuro suggested keeping a journal about all my migraines. Best thing I did, I wrote down what I ate, the weather, caffeine i had, any medicine that I had or needed to take, what activities I had been doing, if my cycle was that week, how long it lasted, its pain level, where the migraine was anything that would help break it down and to find my triggers.

I wish you and your daughter the best of luck! Hope she finds something that works!

Dannielle

Helpful Tips

HELP!!!
I am a healthy 13 year old male and I have recently been having had pains. For the last 6 months i had intense head pain. I head random ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center