Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Migraines going away after Dementia set in
RTRbamamom posted:
My grandmother has had migraines every month for two days on the 8th or 9th for at almost 50 years. Two years ago, she was diagnosed with dementia and in the last year and a half, it is progressively gotten worse. Also in that time, she has not once said anything about her head hurting nor shown any of the symptoms that she use to have when she got a migraine? I have looked on the internet but cant really find anything, but my question is could the part of the brain that is affected my migraines have anything to do with dementia? Thank you very much!

momathon1 responded:
My grandmother and I have followed the same migraine symptom pattern. When we are young the pattern goes like this; first we get stupid, then haloing, then pain. The older you get, the less pain, until you no longer get pain at all, just phases of stupid, that seem exactly like dementia. When you reach the age of about 90 the phases of stupid just never end, and you get diagnosed with dementia.
While I'm in the stupid phase, I get clumsy, dizzy, grasp for words, forget names, have longer reaction time, zone out, and forget what I have just walked into a room for. The longer my migraine lasts, the worse these become.
I wish they would do a study regarding the relation of migraines and dementia.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center