Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hemiplegic Migraine Symptoms?
migrainesufferer posted:
This is my first time posting, so excuse me if it is lengthy. About 5 yrs. ago I began having a severe migraine during a loud family gathering with lots of laughing. My migraine lasted for 7 months and was increased with sound. After tons of tests and no answers, I did some research and found I was faced with hyperacusis "over sensitive hearing", but, no answers to what caused it. When exposed to too much sound I am faced with severe migraines. Lyrica gave me back my life, where I could actually listen to birds chirp, water run, and moderate sounds w/o headaches. I have lived a very protective lifestyle to keep my migraines at bay as much as possible.

Last Tuesday, I began feeling a slight nerve pain in my right arm. Within an hour it was such severe pain, I thought I was going to pass out on my drive home. Within 45 min. I felt tingling in my big toe. By the time we got to the hospital I had nonresponsive nerves in my left leg and severe pain in the leg . They treated it like a stroke, but, tests came back negative. They sent me home the next day with the inability to walk on my own and weakness in the arm and left leg. Diagnosis: A typical migraine or hemiplegic migraine. Yet, I never had a migraine. It is now 6 days later and I continue to have sharp nerve pains in my arm and leg and weakness also and non responsive nerve on back of my leg. I am very scared and nervous as to why these symptoms are lasting so long. Most people say they have headaches with these and slurred speech or lost vision. I had none of those... Just the lack of use of my left extremities.
How long can this last? And has anyone else dealt with only these symptoms for this length of time? I am currently in a wheelchair and able to walk very little w/o extreme nerve pain and weakness. Any help is appreciated. I need some answers.

jerib101 responded:
Have you had your spine checked for ruptured, leaking or compressed disks? This can make pain radiate up, out and down from the original point of nerve pinching.

Helpful Tips

Soda for Sinuses
I know this sounds crazy but I swear by a can of Coca-Cola whenever my sinus headaches flare. Gives me a long for medicine to kick into ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 37 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center