Skip to content
10 yr. old daughter diagnosed with Migraines
chelleb1018 posted:
My daughter has been diagnosed at 6mths of Turner's Syndrome, it is a genetic disorder that only effects girls, they cannot have children, and are pron to ear infections, and they are all very short statue. Well, she started 5th grade this year, in special ed, and about 3 weeks ago after school, she had the worst headache ever, it was right in the back of her head, she did vomit with it, and I gave her ibuprofen chewable. So, I took her to her Pediatrician last Monday with Sinus issues, again Wed. He did order a CAT scan of her eyes b/c she is legally blind in r eye, and she recently had a complete eye muscle surgery 8/8/2013, and it took over a month for all the red to go away. Her eye that surgery was done on was swelled with the headache, and the CAT scan came back good. I had to take her in again today bc over the weekend, she has been very nauseated, and had the same type of headaches. Her Pediatrician did a blood count, it was normal, she explained to him how severe the headaches where, I asked him to consider a MRI of her brain, but he said there is not enough Criteria for that yet, so he prescribed Zofran for nausea, and told me just to continue with Ibuprofen for her headaches. It is really starting to make her more debilitated. These headaches can last all day. My question is, is there any type of Prescription medication out there to help prevent the onset of Migraines? He did diagnose her with Migraines today, as her Mom, I believe it will only get worse, and I luckily have never dealt with Migraines...any help will be greatly appreciated!

yecal responded:
you can try an ice pack, dark cool room. aromatherapy peppermint for nausea you can also dab a little peppermint on where the headache is, however you need to use just a little dab because it can irritate the skin if to much. My daughter gets them too, and they can debilitate her for days. I also massage her back and neck. she takes amitryptaline every nite, and zomig for breakthrough headache.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center