Skip to content
HELP-Can’t remember the headache medication I used to take?
CarolinaGirl1014 posted:
I started having really bad headaches after college. I went to several doctors that put me on many different meds but nothing ever worked. I thought I would never get relief until I talked to my grandmother about it. She told me that she also had headaches most of her life. She also went to several doctors but she finally went to one that put her on a medication that made her headaches nonexistent! So, I went to my doctor and started taking it…she was right! It was WONDERFUL, I couldn't believe that I didn't have to suffer anymore. My memory is HORRIBLE but I remember that I took the medication for almost a year until I met my future husband! After we started dating I stopped taking the medication (to see if I could live life without meds). Through the years I had headaches but nothing too bad. Unfortunately, that didn't last and now I'm back to where I was 10 years ago! What's worse is that I can't remember the name of the medication I took that made them go away!!! I know what your thinking…there has to be some way to get the name of it, right? Well, 10 years is a long time. I no longer see the doctor that prescribed it because she moved away. My grandmother passed away a few years ago, as well. SO, I'm totally lost and have no idea if I will ever find out what it was?? The only thing I know is that it was for headaches and I THINK it started with an F. I have searched the internet non-stop. This summer I found something that sounded familiar (Fiorinal) so I went to my doctor and started taking it. I realized right away that I was wrong. It didn't help at all so I tried Fioricet, same thing! I wish I could remember but it's just not in my brain anymore. The only thing I think is that the name of the medication was similar to Fiorinal??? With ALL THAT SAID, I am hoping someone can help me??? I know that my odds are slim but I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me figure it out!!! Suggestions would also be great! Fingers crossed- K

rosielou responded:
Hi,

I have 2 quick thoughts.

First, have you checked with the pharmacy that filled the prescriptions? Going back 10 years might not be available, but It might be worth a try.

Second is that it could have been Fiorinal or Fioricet that worked really well for you back then, but not now. That happens frequently with those of us with migraines, the med just stops working.

Anyway, instead of searching for your "F" med, maybe work with a headache neurologist and develop a new plan that will give you relief now.

I hope this helps. Rose

Ciarablaze responded:
I took fioricet, generic name is butalbital for years and it helped me so much but after years, my Dr said that they were bad for my kidneys and took me off:( I have suffered ever since. My mom took the kind that had codeine and they really help her but I'm allergic to codeine but swears it. Hope this helps you.

JimFR responded:
I'm in the same boat at the moment when I was a teen I took a big blue pill,I thought it was topamax but it was not, I started with debilitating headaches again about 8 years ago and am now desperate to find what I was taking back then. All I think I remember from more than 30 years ago was it was a large blue pill in a blister pack, it was very expensive.
It would be a godsend if I could find out what that pill was.

I feel your pain in the search for what we remember worked.

Good Luck
J.

undefined responded:
Could it have been flurbiprofen?

Helpful Tips

Yoga Helps
Yoga is a good tool to reducing stress and the headaches that come with it. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center