Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Severe Migraines
timstriumph posted:
Hello, I am new to all this so please bear with me. I have been having migraine pain for the past 6 weeks now with no end in sight. I have yet to go to the doctor but have an appointment this week. My pain is constant yet it does subside some. The pain becomes intense when I bend over or lay down. What really bothers me the most is that if I have intercourse the pain becomes so immense that it seems to cripple me if anyone can understand. The pain resonates from the base of my neck to my eyes. When I lay down or bend over or even do some strenuous work it feels like someone is hitting me with hammer, but sex seems like someone is hitting me with a sledge. If I stop it will calm down to a low steady migraine pain again. What can I do and expect from this?

rosielou responded:
Hi,

What you're experiencing is common to many of us. Migraines are related to the blood flow in your head, so anything you do that affects that blood flow will have an impact on the pain. Physical exertion and bending over are classic.

Are you taking anything for the headache? After 6 weeks you might have crossed over into rebound headaches if you're taking NSAIDs or acetaminophen on a daily basis. Googling 'rebound headache' will give you a better explanation than I could ever write.

I hope you've had your doctor appointment by now. If not, take it easy and be gentle with yourself until you get this under control. Eat good foods, limit sugars, and drink plenty of water And maybe some things are worth the pain, if you know what I mean.

Rose

Helpful Tips

Soda for Sinuses
I know this sounds crazy but I swear by a can of Coca-Cola whenever my sinus headaches flare. Gives me a long for medicine to kick into ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 37 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center