Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Strong Random Pulse Right Temple
Phaedon posted:
Hello.

I have migraines and have had them for years. 9/10 that I do have occur in the right side of my head. I do not take anything preventative but do take Midrin for them when they occur. I usually have tingling in certain body parts, halo's, blindspots, or severe/sharp pain that lets me know when they are coming. I had a CT Scan done 3 years ago and nothing out of the ordinary was found.

However, I randomly have an issue in that same area of my head when I am not having migraines. When you feel your pulse in your temple it is no different than checking your pulse in your neck or even the wrist. Sometimes I have very random STRONG pulses that are not in sync with my normal pulse. These are so strong that I feel them when I am not even trying to feel my pulse in that area. These do not interfere with my normal pulse either...it continues on and these "jump" in randomly. I feel them on the side of my head when I am doing something else. These are not accompanied by headaches nor do they lead to migraines and they do not make me feel ill in the slightest bit. However they are so strong that it makes me uncomfortable and nervous that something is wrong and that I have a blood-clot or something.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Thanks!

Phaedon responded:
Let me clarify one thing; these do occasionally have a slight bit of sharp pain with them, but not always.

Thanks again!

Alara1976 responded:
It could be the beginning of a migraine that doesn't fully materialize. I would check with your doctor to be sure.

Have you seen a neurologist?

lisahauer09 responded:
I don't know why it would be pulsing,but I do know that the area where you get headaches can be tender to the touch after having a lot of them. Whenever your headaches change,it's a good time to see the dr. so I agree with that.

mowajo responded:
This is exactly what is happening to me...on same side of head, on temple. It feels almost the same as a muscle twitch but it's my head...and it has a very sharp shooting pain every few minutes or so. Anybody have a clue??

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center