Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Strange chronic prolonged headache. What could it be?
matt88 posted:
Hello. I was having some problems with my anxiety about 4 weeks ago. I was worried and stressed daily. Stress is over for now. Only thing that bothers me now is my headache.
I don't remember when exactly it started, probably 3 weeks ago when I was still worried sick. First it was sharp pain on top on my head and it was giving me dizziness. And after that I started to feel different kind of pain. It was pulsating one. It was changing spots from one side of my head to another. Now in the end of the week pain got less severe, it became dull and bit different.
Now sometimes I get stiff neck for couple seconds. It comes like a cramp or a spasm and it goes away, but pain moves upwards and goes to side of my head and starts it's journey. Usually I feel pressure in my nose and if I concentrate I can feel as air or something that causes pressure goes through tubes behind my nose and then it's gone. Sometimes I feel pressure on my cheeks or above my eye. But I have no fever and my nose isn't runny so I doubt it's sinusitis.
In the mornings I don't feel the pain. Just strange feeling on top of my head on the right side. There is like a spot on my head that feels strange like someone is pulling my hair. Pain only appears after an hour when I wake up. And it's light in the start of the day. I go to sleep with an headache I wake up without it.
When I shake my head it doesn't hurt. When I lift heavy stuff I don't feel any changes too.
My symptoms are mixed up like I'm having 3 different headache types.
And two days ago I started getting pins and needles. On my arms, legs, back and on my face.. Should I be concerned?
Can it be brain tumor? I have some red flags about changing pattern and dizziness and chronic pain, changing pattern, but in same time I never had a seizure, vomiting, and cognitive impairment. But I've spoken with person who had BT and she only experienced pain and not these symptoms.
I don't really know what to think of this.
Thanks for Your answers!

rosielou responded:
Hi,

That's a good detailed list of symptoms. It could be a migraine, or a string of migraines. Brain tumor? Sorry but we're an Internet discussion board and can't answer anything like that.

Please make an appointment with a neurologist who specializes in headaches. That's your best place for a good diagnosis. Let us know what you find out.

Best wishes Rosie

An_254313 responded:
Your symptoms sound a lot like what I've had off & on for 5 months. It went away about 1-2 months, but for the past4 weeks I've had a fuzzy feeling in R side of head sometimes accompanied by dizziness, sometimes a floater in R eye, and sometimes regular headache pain, or rarely a pain that feels like rust, something w/ blood flow. Have been seeing a PT every so often just to get vestibular exercises, and the other day my doc told me to take butterbur 2x's/day. She will perscribe another med if I'm still having daily symptoms in a week. The doc put in an order for an MRI w/ contrast but I haven't gotten it as I had one in 2006 and this summer I had a catscan of the brain w/ incomclusive results. i feel much of the issue is stress-related, and the more I think about the fuzziness, the more it occurs, so it's a cyclical cycle. I hope the. Butterbur or perscription helps soon.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center