Skip to content
food triggers
jadeopaliris posted:
Hi. I was just wondering if others have food triggers for their migraines, and what they are.
I know about foods that are high in tyramine being triggers for most, but I recently read that ctirus is a main trigger for a lot of people; I thought I was the only one. Citrus is a horrible one for me.
But I have many: soy, citrus, onions, coconut, wheat, grapes, strawberries, most dairy, and probably a bunch I can't remember right now.
Anyone else have these or others?

smith_brad responded:
Hello again,

Citrus is awful for a lot of people. I'm trying to recall "Heal Your Headache's" restriction diet since it addresses a lot of the common (and some very uncommon) triggers. Now that I've gotten rid of the rebound headaches, I'll be going on a much more restrictive diet myself, probably taking it further than that particular book recommends.

One of my big problems over the years is identifying a food trigger since it can take up to 48 hours to hit you and by that point you may have been triggered by dozens of other things as well. So unless you either keep an incredibly detailed journal (which I got disgusted with keeping up long ago) or restrict your diet dramatically and build back up after a 4 month detox, it can be tough.

I know the ones that will hit me immediately, but I know there are others that will basically sneak in under the radar.

Is your wheat trigger a gluten thing? Most of the things you have listed are pure hell for a lot of people, but I'm also curious to see what sets people off. And it gets to the point where you almost don't want to find any other things that blow you up.

jadeopaliris replied to smith_brad's response:
Hi. Thanks for the info on "Heal Your Headaches;" I wasn't familiar with that one and am going to check it out.

I hated keeping a food journal; it was such a pain, although I must admit it helped identify patterns of headaches and otherwise I would not have linked them to certain foods.

I also wanted to mention one thing I learned at the Mayo Clinic was that a trigger can also be a combination of two foods. Like tomatoes don't trigger headaches for me; neither do raisins; but on a day when I have both tomatoes and raisins, I'm sure to get a headache.
This makes it even more difficult to identify problem foods!
Also, Mayo said that same thing that foods can cause a headache 48 hours up to 3 days later.

Like you mentioned, I do almost dread finding other triggers because my diet is restricted enough. At first all of the food info seemed overwhelming, but now I will take all information I can get. Whether I implement it or not, it is still good to know.

Helpful Tips

A good read for overall migraine conditions
http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-migraine-triggers-10505 More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center