Skip to content
Extreme exercise then migraine starting with the auras.
An_254333 posted:
I would like some advice from anyone who has experienced severe migraine after exercise. It usually starts with a visual aura, blurry vision, then to the headache. I workout usually for 60 min. And during that time drink about 20 oz. of water mixed with electrolytes. The visual aura usually starts within the last 2 min. of the class where there is cool down. The headache usually hits hard after 5 min. of the visual aura. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you

smith_brad responded:
I've always had an issue with extreme exertion as a trigger, which can be a humiliating thing to have to explain.

Honestly, my policy was always to try to get any exercise or outdoor activities (farm maintenance as a very painful example) done before things warm up. If you're in an indoor class, I would recommend trying a more low-impact routine for a short amount of time and try to determine if specific motions are setting it off and then adjust your intensity / routine as needed. There might be some tweaking involved, but it's well worth it to dodge the migraine onset.

In addition, if you haven't already, you might want to consult a neurologist or do some digging on the internet for nutritional / vitamin supplements. The magic cocktail of CoQ10, Magnesium, Riboflavin and a handful of others might be enough to give you some breathing room.

Hats off to you, though. If you're pushing yourself and not getting the beginnings of aura until the cool down, you're in a good starting place. It doesn't feel like that I know, but you're one step ahead of the pack for the exertion-headache crowd.

While some fitness sites don't really have forums specific to these types of issues, you might want to lurk around some of them and give a quick intro to see if you can find a non-troll that will answer your questions.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center