Skip to content
Anyone Try This Treatment
cwu007 posted:
My husband suffers from debilitating migraines. He gets about 1 slow me down migraine a week and about 1 debilitating migraine a month. 4 months ago we were watching an episode of The Doctors and they featured a migraine reducing muffin. Our plan was to have him have at least 1 muffin a day from now until the end of the year.

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/content/Migraine_Muffin

Well he's been eating 2 to 3 muffins a day for the last 4 months and he's only had 4 slow me down migraines and according to my husband they aren't even as bad.

In my mind these muffins are working a little too well. Like it's more of a placebo effect. My husband said he doubts it's placebo because he was skeptical. The only reason why he had me make the muffins was because the worst that could happen was a bad tasting muffin. I'm glad my husband's migraines are nearly gone. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried these muffins and how well did they work for you?

smith_brad responded:
Hello there,

That's great if his attacks have dropped down so dramatically regardless of the hows and whys that always crop up in your mind. I personally haven't tried the muffins (I'm at chronic migraine status), but the anti-inflammatory effect could definitely be at play with him.

Similar vitamin cocktails can produce the same beneficial relief for a lot of people, and food can be a HUGE factor. There are so many variables that set us off that it can be hard to track without very detailed food journals, along with the time the migraine began, the day's weather (humidity, barometric pressure, temp, etc), how much sleep he's getting, and other environmental / chemical or food triggers.

In my own history, the slow-me-downs were often stress or tension related, along with sleep, regular eating, and so on. Regimented lifestyle schedules along with some relaxation and even biofeedback can greatly reduce a lot of those.

It's hard to really speculate, but any positive change is always welcome. How long has he been having migraines? If he's seeing relief, I would personally keep pounding the muffins down, or find some other Omega-3 supplements that would fill the same role and see if there's a change, but then you get into "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" territory.

Isolating and attacking the migraine monster can be a long-term effort for a lot of people, and any sufferer would give him a big high-five for finding relief on even a marginal level. It's hard to set aside the skepticism for a lot of the wonder cures / products out there, but you never know until you try it.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center