Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Long lasting migraine
mckaylalee posted:
I've always gotten head aches and migraines, but I could always get rid of them by just sleeping them off, but this migraine is a force to be reckoned with. I've had it since I woke up on November 8th, it's now November 29th and it's still going strong...I gave up all things caffeine about 2 months ago and even those head aches weren't this bad.

It hurts to move my eyes, the light hurts, every sound I hear seems to be amplified and feels like my head is going to implode. I'm slightly nauseous, and smells are starting to make it worse.

I've tried everything my doctor suggested: cold packs, Gingko Biloba, Excedrin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Aleve, and Tylenol. (I've taken them all separately; I never mix medications)

What should I do?? I'm open to pretty much anything, because I can't see my doctor until December 18th, and I can't afford an ER visit.

mamajeno responded:
I can relate to your long lasting migraine headache.
I had 45 years of 3 day migraines every 5-6 weeks.
They went away when I reached age 70. They were determined to be hormonal headaches.
At age 78, I went into a 6 week period of daily headaches that ranged from low grade to two 3 day migraines. I became so weak and nauseous I ended up in the ER.
Have you taken any alfalfa supplements? Do you have a thyroid condition? My Dr. is suggesting that thyroid med adjustments can trigger these daily headaches. Also, in checking, alfalfa somehow reacts like estrogen.
These are the things I am trying to check out since all other blood work is good and the ER confirmed there are no blood clots or masses in the brain.
Worth looking into....

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center