Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
very frequent headaches
bunnyskinner posted:
My husband is 26 years old. He gets headaches everyday and as many as 3 in one day. Sometimes Ibuprofen helps, sometimes nothing helps. what can we do?

Take the Poll

• n/a
  • n/a
vote
View Poll Results

robinwilliams responded:
Hey bunny!
My father faced the same problem. His doctor at OrthoTexas suggested the following treatments:
  • To drink plenty of water
  • To use caffeine carefully
  • To find a quiet, dark place to take a break
  • To use a cool compress
  • To massage the scalp, neck and ear lobes

nyheadache responded:
Your husband needs to see a doctor to at least have a battery of blood tests, including tests for thyroid, RBC magnesium, vitamin B12, Lyme, and other routine tests. Excessive caffeine consumption is a common cause of daily headaches, as is sleep deprivation, stress, and other. If blood tests and the check-up is normal, I would start with regular sleep schedule, regular aerobic exercise, elimination of caffeine and sugar from the diet, relaxation training or meditation, magnesium and CoQ10 supplements. If these are ineffective, prescription drugs such as Inderal or Elavil can help. These are taken daily for the prevention of his headaches. Pain meds, such as Advil and Excedrin do not help daily headaches, and those with caffeine (Excedrin, Anacin, Fioricet) can make headaches worse. If drugs do not work or cause side effects, most insurance company will pay for Botox, which is the only FDA-approved treatment for chronic migraines. It is safer and more effective than any drug, but it is very expensive. [br>Migralex doc

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center