Skip to content
Constant (but minor) headaches
seattle98119 posted:
Hello!

I'm living in an older (but very clean) apartment in Seattle, and my roommate and I started experiencing odd symptoms as winter weather set in.

Both of us routinely wake-up with mild headaches, dry mouth and mild stomach pain. My sleeping pattern has been thrown off and I can't seem to stay asleep. Upon leaving Seattle, the symptoms immediately disappear for both of us.
We use HEPA air filter/de-humidifier 24/7, and had a professional firm come perform particle size,mold,mildew,humidity,all negative. I also have a carbon monoxide detector in the house which is reading normal levels.
My doctor, roommate and I are at a loss for what could be causing something like this considering the great results we received from the firm that came into sample the air in the apartment.
I have no history of any allergies, and it seems strange that I would have a reaction when it raining a lot (that's Seattle for ya!).
Any suggestions of what to consider would be very helpful since my landlord is using the results of the firm I hired as proof that nothing is wrong.. So I would love to figure this out.
Thanks for reading!
Austin

rosielou responded:
Hi Austin,

It might be raining a lot outside, but if the dehumidifier is running constantly, has the indoors turned overly dry? That's my first thought with the headache and dry mouth.

I live in a dry climate and have a similar reaction when the humidifier isn't running properly. A sure bet to trigger a migraine is turning off the humidifier when the furnace is running. I will say that when I visit family in Seattle (2-3 times a year) one of the houses there is a lot drier than mine.

Second might be to check the bedding, including pillows. Did you change laundry detergents, fabric softeners, or anything like that? Is there a new fabric in the sheets? A new filler in pillows?

I hope you find an answer. Rose

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center