Skip to content
OTC Hormonal Sinus Migraine options please!
Anon_138320 posted:
Female-51 suffers painful monthly sinus migraines, sometimes for several days. Is there an effective over the counter medicine that can help relieve this problem? In the past I have used Excedrin, Aleeve, Motrin, Naxoprin, Advil and Asprin, sometimes one will help, sometimes I have to keep switching and none seem to help!

Please advise. REALLY could use some relief! I am a BCP user, normal weight, 5'7 - 135 lb, try to eat healthy, holidays the exception!

Thanks!

nyheadache responded:
Plain migraine is much more likely than sinus migraine even if you have some nasal congestion. You may want to talk to your doctor about trying to stop the pill to see if it is causing some of your headaches. If that is not an option for you, try magnesium supplementation, regular exercise, avoid caffeine, chocolate, preservatives, and too many carbs. If all that fails, prescription drugs such as sumatriptan (Imitrex) can be very effective.
MIgralex doc
(for sinus and tension headaches try Migralex)

An_249441 replied to nyheadache's response:
Dr Mauskop?

Anon_138320 replied to nyheadache's response:
Thank you very much for your reply and helpful suggestions. I will be mentioning this my next dr. visit. Today I thought I might try Claritin D, hoping it would help alleviate the sinus pressure feel associated with the headache. I think you might be on to something when you say to cut back on caffeine, chocolate, preservatives and too many carbs because in the last 6 months I have lost about 35 pounds and things seemed better so far as the severity. With the holidays I've resorted to eating more of these things and I think perhaps it's possible they might be a part of the problem. So, I need to cut them out again!

Much appreciate your time, suggestions, and helpful advice!

Happy New Year!

Helpful Tips

Yoga Helps
Yoga is a good tool to reducing stress and the headaches that come with it. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center