Skip to content
migraine meds?
clh1983 posted:
Ok, I've had migraines since I was a teenager. Well after having kids I just could not function anymore with them. My Dr put me on imitrex 100mg and after about 6-9 months that stop working. So after that I got dropped from my INS so I just had to deal with them. Using bc powder, cold compresses hot baths and or sleep. Well in early Dec I could not take it. After 3 day battle I went to Dr. she gave me a beta blocker and butalb-acetamin- caffeine. Well the prn does not work at all no change in migraine at all. My question is what else is out there? I still do not have INS so super expense of medication is kind of out.

nyheadache responded:
First of all, I'd suggest getting off all caffeine, including butalbital. Regular aerobic (cardio) exercise, regular sleep schedule, regular low-carb meals, supplements, such as magnesium, 400 mg, CoQ10, 300 mg, and Boswellia, can all help. Beta blockers and other preventive drugs are usually started at a low dose and then if there is no improvement and no side effects, the dose is gradually increased. So, increasing the dose of the beta blocker could help, otherwise, gabapentin is another good inexpensive drug. It is started at 300 mg twice a day and can be increased to 2,400 mg a day. For abortive therapy, instead of Imitrex, Maxalt, Zomig, and Amerge are good generic drugs.
Migralex doc

tiredofheadaches replied to nyheadache's response:
I take magnesium oxide 2 times a day I do not drink caffeine everything is decaf.I take a Beta Blocker and a Calcium Channel Blocker I have tried Imitrex it made it worse which landed me in a er.Have you tried feverfew,Butterbur? If so did it help?

nyheadache replied to tiredofheadaches's response:
I would ask your doctor about increasing the beta blocker and stopping the calcium channel blocker - the first one works a lot better than the second, but you need to take enough of the dose. Taking two blood pressure pills does not make sense - the side effects are additive but the benefits are usually not. Feverfew and Boswellia are worth trying before butterbur, which has more potential side effects - see my blog post http://www.nyheadache.com/blog/butterbur-we-no-longer-recommend-it/ .
Migralex doc

Helpful Tips

A good read for overall migraine conditions
http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-migraine-triggers-10505 More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center