Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Seeking guidance: Recent onset of left-side headaches and other symptom
BHWISC83 posted:
I am a 30 year old male, married, fit, and otherwise healthy. A couple weeks ago, I experienced a somewhat scary pulsating pain within the left side of my head that lasted only seconds. This happened at least twice that evening, and since that day, I've had more frequent left-side headaches / pains that come and go quickly with no apparent reason. I've also noticed that shaking my head to help dry hair post-shower has caused discomfort, though this probably started a few months back. As someone with no history of consistent headaches, I am a little concerned. Also a couple weeks ago, I noticed a swollen lymph node in my right armpit that seems somewhat marbleized, and has not gone away even after switching deodorants. I imagine that these symptoms are unrelated, but do wonder if anybody might be able to provide any educated insight. I will likely schedule a visit with my PCP soon. Thanks so much!

nyheadache responded:
I would see a doc and get an MRI scan of the brain. I would also avoid shaking your head. One of my patients (although she was in her 50s when the blood vessels are less pliable than they are in your 30s) who always used to shake her head to get water out of her hair one day developed a headache with neck pain after doing that. It turned out that she developed dissection of her vertebral artery. Fortunately, she recovered without any residual problems.
Migralex doc

tiredofheadaches replied to nyheadache's response:
Did A MRI 9mm

tiredofheadaches replied to tiredofheadaches's response:
I have a question What Foods do I need to avoid? I drink decaf and caffeine free I am scared to eat anything .Can you Reply?Thank You!!!

nyheadache replied to tiredofheadaches's response:
Foods that have been reported to cause headaches include wine, aged cheese, chocolate, smoked, dried, cured, pickled, fermented foods, hot dogs and other processed meats, sugar substitutes, and even healthy foods, such as citrus fruit and onions. The list is long and the best way to figure out which ones are your trigger foods is to keep a diary (we developed a free iPhone app - Migralex Headache Relief Diary). You can also try an elimination diet where you stop eating all those foods and try introducing one item at a time to see if it triggers a headache. A small percentage of my patients report relief of headaches on a gluten-free or dairy-free diet, so these are also worth trying. Eating excessive amounts of carbs is a fairly common trigger, as is skipping meals. So, try eating regularly, healthy fresh foods and not too many carbs.
Migralex doc

Helpful Tips

Yoga Helps
Yoga is a good tool to reducing stress and the headaches that come with it. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center